Club Car Golf Cart Backfiring

DDavis6384

I have been working on my 1993 Club Car DS Gas golf cart, It had igniter and carburetor problems. I have solved all those issues. No more low speed/high speed problems, no more dieseling after releasing the accelerator.

But now, almost EVERY time I press the accelerator the golf cart is backfiring. I was wondering what adjustment I could make to keep that from happening.

I have, as I said, replaced the carburetor, and the igniter. And I have put on new starter and drive belts. I have replaced the 3-wire microswitch in the black box. It has new fuel lines, fuel filters, and a newly cleaned fuel pump.

As it is November, and temps are now between -10 to 10 degrees farenheit, I won't be able to make any fixes or use the cart for a while, but I would like some help on the issues so that when I DO get to use the buggy, it will be running pristinely!

Thanks for any help.

DDavis6384

Not sure this answers my question. My cart cranks at the appropriate pedal position, and I’m not looking for more speed. Just would like it to fire when I press the pedal. I don’t like watching the other guys hitting their second shots while I’m at the tee trying to get my cart to do more than crank and backfire😡

Shootrig

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
lets get this conversation rolling - my 96 DS Gasser is very slow to go, it very occasionally does a run-on after I stop, not often but occasionally. I was wondering if the battery may be getting weak. This igniter - I did not know about this part, and this 3-wire micro-switch, what is this about and what is its function? Once I get going, it runs like a champ, but it does take a long time for take-off.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not sure this answers my question. My cart cranks at the appropriate pedal position, and I’m not looking for more speed. Just would like it to fire when I press the pedal. I don’t like watching the other guys hitting their second shots while I’m at the tee trying to get my cart to do more than crank and backfire😡
The link I posted in 2010 also mentions adjusting the throttle linkage which is what it sounds like the problem is.

mrjordan

I have been working on my 1993 Club Car DS Gas golf cart, It had igniter and carburetor problems. I have solved all those issues. No more low speed/high speed problems, no more dieseling after releasing the accelerator.

But now, almost EVERY time I press the accelerator the golf cart is backfiring. I was wondering what adjustment I could make to keep that from happening.

I have, as I said, replaced the carburetor, and the igniter. And I have put on new starter and drive belts. I have replaced the 3-wire microswitch in the black box. It has new fuel lines, fuel filters, and a newly cleaned fuel pump.

As it is November, and temps are now between -10 to 10 degrees farenheit golf cart backfire, I won't be able to make any fixes or use the cart for a while, but I would like some help on the issues so that when I DO get to use the buggy, it will be running pristinely!

Thanks for any help.
The main problem was, when I moved the main throttle cable directly to the carb (bypass gov), I had the end of the cable too close to the carb. I backed the end of the cable way out (away from carb) and it stopped 98% of the backfire. But, there is a very steep hill at the campground, heading down to the lake. This seems to be the only place it does it now. As I hit the brake coming down that steep hill (Kinda long hill) (no gas pedal) when I get to the bottom, one BLAM!!! Let me tell you, people at the beach and on the docks JUMP!! Those who know my cart expect it, but others, not so much!! Heck, it even makes me jump, and I am expecting it!!! Muffler is sealed. No Leaks. Header pipe has new gasket. Gasket between carb and engine, new. Air box is sealed tight. What else could be causing this? And yes, the butterfly is closed with no touchy the gas pedal.