Club Car Get Spark Once or Twice Then None

Jack M

New guy here,
I just made a deal on a 1992 Club Car DS gas golf cart. Got a pretty good buy on as it wont run. I have worked on small engines all my life, but the golf carts are new to me. Here is what it does.
It gets spark about twice then none. With an air gap I get a nice hot blue spark, but only one or two. Same with a spark plug laying on a ground, two hits.
With the spark plug installed it tries to fire but only hits once. No spark. It will do this over and over one or two hits then no spark. I have ordered a service manual but thought I would do a little digging. Would a bad igniter do this?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Sounds like a bad rev limiter, i think its mounted on the block under the cylinder. unplug it and and give it a try.

Jack M

What does it look like?
I have the body off and see a module of sorts lower front of engine. Spark plug wire goes under a cover and I haven't dug any deeper.

Jack M

There are two modules there, a plastic one about an inch and a half by 3 inches about a half inch thick. This one is the one that can be seen. And a small metal encased thing with a single spade terminal on a plate under the first one..
I pulled the wire off of the spade and go zero spark.
Since I couldn't fumble finger the wire back on I went ahead and pulled those two modules and cleaned them up some. Grabbed a couple of jumpers and cobbled them together on the floor board and lo and behold I have better spark.
Put it all back together and now it runs.
I have the thing in service mode so I can start it in neutral.
It seems like the governor takes over and wont let me rev it very much.
So y'all probably know my next question.

Jack M

You posted as I was writing, yes, this is the plastic one I described.
I did not try unplugging the bullet terminals. Just the small spade as described.
So I am assuming that if I were to unplug that bullet I may learn something but I still don't much care for the governor.
Thanks for your help by the way.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Well its a road speed governor so you really will not know whats going on until ya drive it.

Jack M

Figured that. It will be a day or two before that happens.
Ive been trying to study the feasibility of making some changes. Working over the clutches seems to make the most sense.
Don't remember just where I read this but apparently there is someone out there that can do some machine work that makes them quite efficient.
With the body off as it sits now it would make it much easier to do that kind of work.

Jack M

I kinda have issues with ghost fixes.
It must have been a bad ground or corroded connection.
I didn't do anything besides take it apart and out it back together. (Ghost)
I went out and hit the pedal this morning and it started right up.
Thanks for the help Nubs.