Club Car Gas Golf Cart Will Only Idle

Jack M

It might not even be running, just cranking.
I am new to these as well, but recently on this forum it was suggested to unhook the ground wire from the rev limiter,
Its a small black box on the lower front of the engine. Difficult to see but it was there and it did the fix on mine.

Jack M

Did it start?
Yes, I just put tape on mine.
A new rev limiter is around ninety bucks if you want one.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Like Jack said it's probably just cranking on the starter and not actually running. I'd check to see if it's getting spark, fuel to the carburetor and a compression test. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Lewis Cason

I got on the cart and it started right up and ran about 30 feet and just stopped. Sometimes it trys to start but wont quite do it. I will try disconnecting the ground wire from the rev limiter. This was when the problem started. Jack do I have to get under the cart to disconnect the ground wire?

Lewis Cason

There are three wires connected to the Rev Limiter. One wire is grounded to the engine block. Is this the one I should disconnect?

Jack M

Yes, The ground to the block, It sounds like you found the rev limiter.
Yes it should crank in maintenance mode, Make sure the key is on and it is in neutral.
You should be able to see the micro switch on a high lobe when you are in the correct position for maintenance.
You could always jack the back wheels off the ground as an alternative in gear.

Jack M

That's all I got for ya, This is what worked for me is all.
Someone on here should show up with some trouble shooting of the ignition.
I guess I just got lucky.

Lewis Cason

I took the spark plug wire off and held it close to the plug while turning motor over. I could hear it firing. Is there a better way to check if I have spark?

Jack M

Pull the spark plug from the engine, stick it back on the plug wire and lay the body of the sp plug against something that will ground it.
You can actually hold the body of the plug tightly against the block or head and not get shocked. (just keep your fingers away from the ends) You should be able to see the spark jump across the plug.
If the plug looks fouled that may be your problem.

Jack M

Or an empty tank....
Or a plugged line....
Or a plugged filter...
Get your boat can out and try running it via gravity.

Lewis Cason

purchased a cheap fuel pump. problem is the pipes are not identified as at which goes to tank and which goes to carburetor. does it matter which goes where?