Club Car Gas Golf Cart Runs at Full Throttle or Nothing at All

fts1966

Okay we got the cart running its a 1995 gas Club Car golf cart with the FE 290. I think its way to fast and it takes off and goes like hell then hits the governor and stops and then takes off again. There is no easy on the throttle it's full throttle wide open or nothing. I'm not a golfer and have not seen them in action in person, but this is way to fast and i can't imagine them running like this for real. Is there a bulletin on how to adjust the throttle and governor. We are just using this as a lake house cart not off roading and not going to be racing it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There's a thread in the Club Car Resource section of the forum that explains how to adjust the throttle cable and governor. Also look in the carburetor and make sure the butterfly is still in there. The older Club Car golf carts has a tendency of eating the butterfly.

fts1966

thanks for that information on the throttle will get it adjusted. i want to keep the governor. so how do i keep it and get it to run with it adjusted properly

Nubs

Cartaholic
Now you need to adjust the linkage so the starter engages before the butterfly starts to open/move, need to make sure the butterfly is completely closed when the engine is off.

fts1966

i red the bulletin about adjusting the throttle but it doesn't say how to adjust governor only how to remove it from operation

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
So is the golf cart running at the right speed through the full range of throttle pedal now but just to fast at full throttle?

Here's the instructions from the service manual for adjusting a 1995 Club Car governor to factory settings.

1 - Install the cable onto the governor onto the governor supports bracket.
2 - Push the cable dust shields onto the ends of the cable conduit.
3 - Connect the governor cable to the throttle at the carburetor.
4 - Connect the governor cable to the governor lever arm.
5 - With governor lever arm loose on the governor shaft, us a 1/8 inch punch or scratch awl to turn the governor arm shaft counterclockwise until it stops. Then pull the governor arm rearward until the carburetor throttle is in the wide open (WOT) position.
6 - While holding the arm and shaft in the fully clockwise position, tighten the governor arm lever nut to 35 in-lb.
7 - Check engine RPM adjustment

fts1966

okay got to the lake house this afternoon, checked all the linkages i had a spring on iron and a linkage out of wack. got all of it adjusted and it started right up in service mode for about 30 seconds then died now after 2 hours and removing the body again and striping the engine dow we are getting intermittent spark but not enough to get it running. very frustrating. tested every thing and all seems to be in good order but not running now