Club Car Gas Golf Cart Only Starts In Neutral

I have a 1980 or older Club Car gas golf cart that only starts in neutral but is still in gear cause when it starts it wants to take off, but when put into gear it won't run. Where do I start? And what's it cost ball park to redo the motor and stuff I really like the cart and don't want to get rid of it but it's going thru a lot of oil

Yes it's running and revs up and wants to go forward when it's in netural but when actually put it in gear it's dead and won't even turn over. It also don't matter what gear I put it into it dies and is dead until put back in netural

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Can you turn the driven clutch (rear clutch) by hand? Does the solenoid click if you try starting the it with the cart in gear? Golf carts are designed to start in gear so you should try starting it with it already in forward or reverse.

gdlucyk

behind the gear selector knob there is a yellow collar. its spring loaded. pull it out and rotate 180 degrees. there are two large knobs that should depress the switch in forward and reverse. the small knob on that collar should point down to operate

Shootrig

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
but if it is the test mode and everything is working properly, it shouldn't want to "go". I'd replace that shifter switch, just my thoughts.