Club Car DS Will Not Start

Muleboss

Have a 96 Club Car DS that will not start. Starter works but engine will not start. NO fire. Have replaced coil, unhooked rev control, new micro switches, Has fuel, has compression, strong battery. Can not figure out why no fire. Any helpful ideas please.. Will not start in service mode or regular mode. Thanks Bob

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Does it have good spark also? i would try a different spark plug, did you check the compression with a gauge. did you try to squirt a little gas in the carb and see if it pops off.

Welcome to the Forum:usa:

Muleboss

This cart does not have the separate ignitor ( little sq metal box behind the rev limiter) if that is what you are referring to.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The square box is the voltage regulator, that coil grounds to stop the engine so i would unhook the wire to the coil and try it. Is the air gap right between the coil and flywheel magnet?

Muleboss

It is my understanding the voltage reg is inside the black box with the micro switches the gas petal controls.
Air gap is set at .10 .
I have unhooked the wire to the coil and bypassed the rev limiter. still no fire

Muleboss

Does a 1996 and 1997 club car use same coil. My 96 has no ignitor behind the rev liminater. It is my understanding that was changed sometime in 96. Could I have the wrong coil? My old coil has number 51218 0n it, The replacement number is 5132 on the box. Thanks Bob

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Do both coils look the same, i went though that some yrs ago. these are the 2 different styles but do not remember which is which, i think the right is the mag style

clubcarcoil1.jpg

Muleboss

If I ohm between spark plug wire and metal where it bolts on coil should it be closed or open?
If I ohm between sparkplug wire and clip where wire goes should it be closed or open ?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
I know nothing about gassers but that is basically a transformer it should not be open or closed it should have resistance as a fixed magnet rotates under it it creates a high voltage transformer

Muleboss

Lots of questions. I am thinking I have a bad coil and a bad replacement coil.
If there is a very weak spark, does that mean a bad coil?
Should a golf cart engine run with just the plug wire connected?
Does the wire on the coil ground out the coil to kill it?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes it should run with just the plug wire connected, the other wire is the kill. most coils either work well or not at all but anything is possible. reset the air gap to 0.20 and see if that changes anything:twocents:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
96 needs a ignitor in order to fire and 97 up are a self contained mag style. Did this cart ever run for you?

Muleboss

Yes it has ran for many years. Since it does not have an ignitor on it I am thinking the original coil went bad. When ordering a new one I got one for a 96 which does have an ignitor.
Now thinking is I have the wrong coil. Need one for 97 with built in ignitor.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
And you removed the rev limiter and bracket to make sure where was no ignitor on the back side?