Club Car DS Wheel Bearings and Seals

TimJ

Hi everybody, I am new here. I am working on restoring a 1987 Club Car DS. The rear wheel bearing seals were leaking all over the break drums so I dove in to replace bearings and seals. The passenger side went well. There is a spring behind the hub that compresses to allow movement if the bearing and sleeve to reveal a stop ring. Once the stop ring was removed the bearing and sleeve slid right of. On the drivers side however, there is no spring. (the exploded drawing I got from club car says there is one). The axle shaft is tapered larger toward the hub which does not allow the bearing or sleeve to slide back to reveal the stop ring. (if there is one). I can't get either the bearing or sleeve to budge!20201014_113708.jpg

capthook

Cartaholic
I'm sorry but the pic makes it look like someone repaired the axle, maybe not but i just doesn't look right to me.
But definitely keep us updated, and i hope and i'm sure someone will be able to help. Good luck Timj and welcome to the forum

TimJ

Ok, so I discovered the drivers side is totally different than the passenger side. The drivers side bearing and sleeve are just pressed on. I was able to get a mechanic friend with a press to get it off for me. I ordered new bearings and seals that arrived today and they sent the wrong seals. Since it is Saturday it will be Monday before I can call and get it straightened out. I can't do anything further until I get the seals.

TimJ

Both sides should have the bearing pressed on the axle.
Nope! The passenger side has a spring around the shaft between the hub and the bearing. The sleeve and bearing are slid toward the hub compressing the spring and reveling a groove in the shaft that a stop ring sits in.