Club Car DS Stock Motor With 500 Amp Alltrax Controller

coondog 2010

I have a 48v 97 Club Car DS golf cart with a series series motor. My question is can i run the 500 amp controller on my stock motor until I get the money for the motor upgrade? The contoller is bad on my cart and since I have to buy one anyway i was gonna go ahead and get the 500 amp Alltrax. I'm not sure what if any problems this would cause any input would be greatly appreciated.

golfdog

Hope someone else has all the answers but the very least you need to do is upgrade the wiring from 6 to 4 gauge. With a little softly softly on the pedal you may be ok in the short term. :twocents:

golfdog

Go to the alltrax website and in the menu go to Document Depot. Page down to Technical notes. Some very useful info there about golf cart motors and controllers. :hattip:

golfdog

Read especially technical notes no. 010 seems you should at least upgrade your solenoid to prevent controller failure. The risks you take in only going part of the way in an upgrade are probably not warranted. :no:

golfdog

If you are upgrading to an Alltrax AXE controller then according to info on the Alltrax website you can program the controller to restrict output to say 300amps. When you have completed the upgrade then change output to full 500 amps.