Club Car DS Slow Up Hill

Mo785

Hello everyone. I have a Club Car DS that goes very slow uphill. I check the batteries and their above 12.0 its a 48 volt golf cart. I played 18 holes and every hill it would do that. Any ideas where to start?
Thx

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I'm pretty sure it's battery issues. The age old issue with lead acid batteries nomenclature is that by the time a 12 volt battery reads 12 volts, it's (for all practical purposes) discharged. And then you'd have to look at it's voltage under a load to even get an idea of what is going on. A single lead acid cell is called a two volt cell, but when fully charged. a two volt cell could be, ideally, 2.15 volts. So a six cell battery should come up to around 12.9 volts. Multiply that times 4 (the number of batteries in the pack) and you've got 51.6 volts. Even when loaded, each 12 volt battery shouldn't get down much below 12 volts (and even then only for an instance). I like to hook a meter across the whole pack and see what happens under a load, by driving the cart with the meter attached. Just block up the seat enough to allow you to run the meter leads under the seat to where you can read the meter (laying on the floor of the cart) while you give it the "gas" up a hill and see what that battery pack is really going down to. If the batteries aren't very old, you can repeat the process with the meter attached to one battery at a time, and see which one (ones) are dropping out under the load.

Mo785

I tested it last time not load testing and everything read at 48.8 volts. The batteries also are marketing a sizzling noise and it not on the charger. The guy said that batteries are about 7 years old. If the batteries are good what would be your second option?
Thx

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the battery pack voltage was only 48.8 volts after a charge they are bad. At 7 years old I would say the batteries are definitely causing your loss of torque going up hills. :twocents:

EDIT:
I see you have another thread here asking the same question and mentioned one battery only had 0.9 volts. It's time to bite the bullet and buy new batteries.

Mo785

Yea that was one of my other customers carts I’m starting to work on golf carts. I'm new to working on cart. I'm might just go for it.

Lorax256

Battery Load Testers are fairly inexpensive and handy for just suck problem troubleshooting. You don't have to disconnect anything. Just check each battery individually. My guess is the same as prior posts . . . at 7 years, batteries are at nearing the end of their service lives. Avoid hills.