Club Car DS Golf Cart With New Trojan Batteries and Very Slow

scobar

Got a 96 Club Car DS golf cart for free. It had 9 year old batteries but it did run, but very slow. So I say no problem batteries are shot. Replaced all 6 with the Trojan 860 batteries and all new cables bewtween them. BOOOM same darn problem, I mean I can walk faster and reverse, even worse.

I am seeing something like 52.4 volts across the pack. What do I check next? thanks

scobar

not sure about the V-glide, I thought it was just a Club Car DS. Not sure on this either, but I think the only thing under the go pedal is the 1/2 round potentiometer then a cable to the back, which I thought only moves current not a physical devise, could be wrong.

dougmcp

Recheck all of the connections that send power to the motor including the F-N-R switch. Make sure they are tight.
Do you get a big voltage drop when underway?

scobar

Thanks, I'll recheck connections. Never though about checking for a voltage drop when under load. What should it read if all is good?

shadowman

Also keep in mind new batts. need 12 or so complete charges to bring them up to 100% and its not uncommon at all for the cart to be slow when you 1st install new batteries. So get the 12 or so complete charge cycles done and if everything is ok you,ll all of a sudden jump on and say wow is this the same cart.

scobar

OK, but.....there's always a but right.

Speed now is slower than walking and reverse is maybe 10' per minute. I would have to say something is wrong.

I would like to try to put 48v on the motor to check that it's not a motor problem, is that possible to do, and how is that done, thanks

shadowman

If its a V-glide take the #5 battery out and open the box to what shape the copper contacts are in. It's possible your v-glide may be going right past some of the speed contacts or they are dirty and or worn to the point they need replaced.

scobar

When all the batteries were out there was nothing under any of them, just open to the ground. I don't believe I have a V-glide.

shadowman

No it will be a pie shaped box that sits down on the frame rail in front of the drivers side front battery. You need to take that battery out to get a good look at it. :thumbsup:

scobar

I'll check for it tonight, can it be taken apart and cleaned for better contact. I assume there is a slide type connection in it to vary the juice to the bats?

scobar

still working on it, but I don't have the poten. you mention. I'm pretty sure it's not a V-glide. One solonoid FNR lever switch and the speed controlled up over the motor is 7" long. I am 95% sure it's a simple 1996 DS 48V

Cleaned every connection there is, no help. Took the FNR apart to clean even more. I did not take the small 1/2 round box under the go pedal apart. It rolls real easy in N so no wheel bind. I did notice the blue wire to the motor was getting warm, not hot but warm. Is there a way to put 48v right to the motor to check for full speed (with wheels off the ground). Not sure what to do next.

New batts have been cycled about 8-10 times and no differance 3-5 MPH forward, 0-1/2 in R

shadowman

Are you certain you have all battery cables hooked up right? If so I would start by testing the new batteries and load testing them its quite possible you have a battery even a new one that might be bad and only show under load.

scobar

The axle oil is full and smells clean, brakes are not binding.

Can I load test the batts with them wired in, I think it should not make a differance, correct.

What does the small black box under the GO pedal do, I hear it click when pedal is depressed, is this some type of potentiometer that could be cleaned? I do notice that the pedal is pressed it clickes right away, then you depress the pedal about 1/3-1/2 before any tire motion

scobar

Potentiometer........ the one I have is right under the GO pedal a black box maybe 2" high 2" deep and 4" long. Can it be taken apart to clean it? I want to make sure because all the hold down bolts are very rusted and I will have to break / replace them which could be a pain.

Trying to explain the slow, I press the pedal maybe 1/3 to 1/2 way down before any movement, does that sound like the pot?

scobar

I'll check for it tonight, can it be taken apart and cleaned for better contact. I assume there is a slide type connection in it to vary the juice to the bats?
bump