Club Car DS Golf Cart Squeeling and Won't Climb Hills

gaspasser

Hey guys been browsing around awhile and finally joined. Yall have already helped out with giving my cart a good tune up by me just searching this site. I have a 93 Club Car DS with gas engine and have already done some basic things like spark plug, oil/filter, air filter, F/R cable, starter and drive belt, rear end and transmission oil change. I've just ordered a 6" Allsports a-arm kit and larger tires/wheels.

Pretty flat where I live but I finally got to take the cart up and down some hills today. When trying to climb anything with much incline I get this squeeling sound and stop forward motion and the golf cart won't climb hills. I changed the drive belt thinking that was it cause it was worn. Well that didn't fix it. I'd like to get this figured out before I start messing with the lift kit. Could I have a clutch issue? I hope it's nothing serious :no:

Thanks!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the new belt is the right belt for the cart?
Put the cart in maintenance mode, start the cart and check if the belt is running up and down on both clutches like it should.

Is it possible the hill(s) you're trying to climb are just to much for the cart?

gaspasser

Thanks for the welcomes.

Ok so I checked my drive belt length. My old one is 37 1/2" and the new one I got from a club car dealer is 38". The old one is 15/16ths of an inch and the new one an inch wide. Thing is it was doing this same thing before I changed the drive belt. What size is the belt supposed to be?

My new belt part number is 1016203 3910* and my old one reads 1016203-C 1706 388. I need a service manual in a bad way.

The belt appears to be going up and down the clutches. I'm not climbing any steeper grade than what would be found on some golf courses I've played. Bout to take it out and try to see what's going on. Thanks for any advice you can give.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A 92 and up Club Car DS calls for this belt, OEM# 1016203 / 1" wide x 37-3/8" long. If that's what they sold you it's the right belt. If it's slipping there's either a clutch problem or the engine needs to be aligned. Club Car makes a tool for the older DS carts for aligning the engine and setting the distance to the driven clutch.

gaspasser

Ok so I just got back from testing both new and old belts up an incline. The old one 37 1/2" is slipping but not as bad as the new one that is 38" OD. Gonna call the dealer and see what different belts he has in stock. Would I get more low end torque with even a shorter belt at say 37" OD? I'm not too worried about topend speed as long as I can reach 15mph. If so where could I get one if the dealer does not have one?

Thanks for your help HotRod!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem, your welcome... :hattip:

Yes a shorter belt will give you more low end. If you can get one that's 1" wide and 37" long it should work good. You still may have a clutch or alignment issue though. Only way you'll know if it's a alignment problem would be to buy the tool for checking it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try contacting the forum sponsors and see if they can get you one. Or if you have a shop in your area that works on snowmobiles they may be able to help.

gaspasser

No snow here in Mississippi.

I checked at NAPA and a local belt place with no luck. I'll keep looking.

Would a stiffer spring in the drive clutch or driven clutch help? It could be worn out as well.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes a stiffer spring will help. I'd pull the clutches apart anyway to have a look. Something is causing the belt to slip and chances are good there's a problem with one of the clutches.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
gaspasser, you got alignment or wear problems. You should be able to bog the engine without slipping the belt. :twocents: :hattip:

gaspasser

Even with a belt that is 5/8" too long OD? How far from the top of the driven clutch should my belt go at full throttle (which is only 13-14mph)? Right now it's about 3/4" away from top. Both clutches feel smooth with no grooves. Anyway to check the alignment without the special tool yall speak of? Yall talkin about the alignment between both clutches? :dazed:

And while I got your attention...I can't figure out how to get this replacement engine snubber on the frame. Are '93 DS different than others? The newer ones I've looked at you can unbolt the piece it fits on from the frame, slip it on, and bolt it back on. The piece it fits on is welded to my frame. Any ideas?
Different snubber? Someone weld it aftermarket?

Man, I wish one you guys lived close by. I need some expertise. Just getting started into the cart world.

Thanks again.