Club Car DS Gas Tank Filler Neck Broken Lip Fix?

kenn

2005 Club Car DS gas tank filler neck broken lip fix? I'll have to post a pic but basically it is this: Once the gas cap is removed, the lip which the rubber seal from the gas cap would press against is partially broken off so now the gas cap doesn't seal tight. I haven't splashed any gas just yet but it certainly will permit gas vapor to escape and smell up the garage. Is there a "repair kit" that screws into the the existing neck or something like that or am I going to have to try to epoxy something in place? Anyone have any ideas on the best fix?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never seen anything available for repairing the filler neck available anywhere. Most epoxy doesn't bond to good to the plastic gas tanks. How big of a piece is broken? If the break isn't to deep can you file the lip flat without taking to much material off? Someone else may jump in with some information on repairing the gas tank. If you can post a picture.

kenn

unfortunately, part of it is broken down to the surface so it can't be leveled off. There is an item out there that is designed for metal tanks like diesel storage. It screws into a threaded hole and then a gas cap goes on top. They problem, of course, is finding one that has the right thread. I will mess around with some cork and make a fuel-capable adhesive or something and see what I can accomplish.

Shootrig

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The wife broke the filler neck off my JD lawn tractor, it is plastic, I repaired it with JB Weld and its held fine for several years now.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
Unfortunately, all of the golf cart tanks that I've worked with, are polyethylene, not like the polypropylene ones that they usually use in lawnmowers etc. In general, JB Weld won't stick to it. It may seem like it is sticking at first, but it won't hold. The good news is that you can "weld" polyethylene. I've been repairing them for a long time, but they must be welded. You can buy a very inexpensive plastic welder kit at Harbor Freight, but the kit doesn't contain a polyethylene filler (it has several others including polypropylene), so you'll have to find the polyethylene filler on the Internet (I did). You can also cut a piece of polyethylene out of an old discarded tank or whatever you can find. You can weld it, build it up, sand it and do just about anything you want to with it with the welding iron. The welder puts out limited heat, so that you "work' the warmed pieces together, add material, etc. without melting the stuff down. The better the welder (more expensive) the more control you have over the heat. It takes a little practice but it does work.

kenn

Thanks --- i've plastic welded before just using a soldering iron with a heat dial. I'll see if I can find some PE filler as I'm not sure I've got anything here nor do I know how to identify polyethylene vs. polypropylene.

Would you use LDPP or HDPP for the tank?

kenn

edit NVM. there's no such thing as low/high. Bad listing on amazon... I ordered polyprop welding rods. will pick up harbor freight welding iron using a 20% coupon. I just filled it full of gas and I'll need to run it down a bit so I'll come back and post pictures, results, etc. once I get the items in hand. If I end up ruining it, I'll just order a tank online. While I'm in there, I'll replace the old, yellowed and stiff fuel lines.

Would anyone care to post a picture of their gas tank "lip" so I can see what I'm trying to recreate? Perphaps measure the wall thickness?