Club Car DS Gas Golf Cart Starting Problems

KingB84

Actually had zero problems starting my 1995 Club Car DS gas golf cart until the cart sat from July 20 to August 30 of 2018. Then would start at lowest level of accelerator but would take about 5 minutes to be able to rev up to full level. (In neutral) By October, I wasn't running it daily and it was more work to get it started. Temperature or lack of use...? The golf cart sat over the winter and now is having severe starting issues. Will run for about 20-30 seconds at low level (neutral) if I'm lucky. Then, it might not start at all. Furthest thing from a mechanic, so I don't have any ideas or checks. Would rather not just drop it off at the local shop & wait for a bill.

Any ideas? Would love to hear...

Thanks

B

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
From what you're describing it sounds like you need to take the carburetor apart, clean it and blow it out with a air compressor. How old is the gas?
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

KingB84

Probably put in 3-4 gallons in September and ran it down to less than a gallon for storage. Have been adding Sea Foam "auto-marine-fleet" and Sta-bil every time adding gas. About 4 oz of SF & 2 oz of Sta-bil per filling.

Nubs

Cartaholic
I agree that if the fuel is good the carb needs a cleaning, i would say around a $100 to have a honest cart shop do the job.

KingB84

I live in farm country, so I can see if one of the guys I know can help with the carb. I can get it in/out without a problem, but a good cleaning not so sure.

Thanks guys!!

KingB84

My contact mentioned the fuel pump & "jets/needles" on the carburetor. Anyone think the fuel pump makes sense with my issues? I'll begin to check a few things tomorrow.

Nubs

Cartaholic
Pull the fuel line off at the carb and turn the engine over for 5 or 10 sec's with the starter and see if its pumping gas, could be collapsed fuel lines or the pickup tube in the tank.

this test would eliminate those possibilities if it pumps fuel:twocents:

KingB84

Gotcha. That'll be my first test tomorrow. Hoping for a resolution, but I've seen many of these threads that end up with multiple options for problems. With help from you guys, I'll try to eliminate as many as I can.

Thanks!

KingB84

Rain, rain, rain. Cart is outside and haven't had any sun to work under. Had time this morning before rain comes back in the PM. Pulled the line off the carb and turned the engine over. Some gas came out. At the right level, I don't know. Changed both fuel filters and turned the engine over again. 5-7 seconds. Then about 10 seconds. Nothing in the first filter right outside the gas tank. Let it run again and then some gas did "fill" the filter. At one point during the morning, I was able to start the engine and keep it going @ 1/3 RPM's. I "locked" the accelerator in place and it ran for 3-4 minutes. I was probably too hasty and when I came back out, I tried to increase the RPM's and it went back to not starting. I purchased some new fuel line and will install that after the rain stops again. Next will be the carb check and then onto the fuel pump. Seemed strange that there wasn't any fuel going into that first filter for 20-30 seconds. Is that possibly normal?