Club Car DS Electric Golf Cart Troubleshooting Help

Phrogman

I really could used a bit of troubleshooting help with a 2003 Club Car DS 48 volt golf cart. Solenoid clicks and car starts to move but drops out when you continue to press the accelerator. Same symptoms in forward or reverse. I know solenoid is good cause I just replaced it thinking that was the problem. Tips on fault isolation from this point?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd start with checking your total battery pack voltage with a digital volt meter. Check the voltage with and without the throttle pressed and post your results. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Phrogman

Sadly I am at work and don’t have access to the cart. I was going to add a bit of other info. The cart was running fine no issues. Took it through the neighborhood and it lost power on an up hill stretch. Let off accelerator , solenoid would reset, power engaged but as you increase on the peddle power would quit. Let it sit for ten minutes, then cart worked fine and drove home. 30 min latter tried it and it was DOA. Solenoid still clicked , tried to go then shut off. Did some solenoid checks ( without disconnecting any wires. Seemed to check ok but stopped getting audible solenoid click. When ahead and just changed the solenoid. I still have the exact same symptoms but do get tje click sound

Where do I fine the controller series info?

Phrogman

The controller is black ( but that may be a cover). Also the solenoid is on the driver side mounted on the computer. The data plate says it’s an 03 ds but this buggy may have Not have the original body

Phrogman

I have update. I checked the battery pack only read 45.1. 5 of the 6 were 8 , a single battery was way low 5.1 I hooked up the charger but the needle is not indicating a large charge. I borrowed neighbors charger and get same result. I left it hooked up but the needle is damn near on zero.

I also pulled the controller cover and it’s a Curtis 1510-5201. Nothing with the controller looks amiss

I understand the one battery is no good ( water ok) but don’t understand why it is not charging. Suggestions?

Phrogman

Forgot to include test of battery pack under load. Total V drops as pedal depresses then returns to 45.1 when power kicks out

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Use a 12 V automotive charger and tried charging those batteries for a couple hours each maybe more for the dead one if they don’t come up replace them

Phrogman

So pull out the bad actor and charge separately? Reckon this is the overall cause for the cart being inop?

Phrogman

Morning update

I used the auto charger and boosted the one weak battery, reconnected the battery pack and charged all night. This morning battery pact recording 54V. Test drive wasn’t a drive, starts to go ( forward and reverse) but drops out as the accelerator is depressed

Is it the controller? Is there an easy confirmation test?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Put your volt meter on the main positive and negative of the battery pack and see what the voltage drops to when you drive the cart. It sounds like you have a battery problem.

Phrogman

Water is good, and regurlly checked and maintained. They are old, was hoping ti nurse then through the summer.