Club Car DS Burning Up Coils

SNIPER

So this 96 Club Car DS has me stumped burning up coils. I changed starter generator with Ebay special and the starter burnt up. So put old original back in and still blowing coils every 2-3 months. Carts used alot on weekends. Often cart kills battery and will get stuck out in never never land. If she sits long enough an u try it will go but never get off gas or she wont start again till charged. What am I missing?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Put a digital volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is at half to full throttle. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Nubs

Cartaholic
Its not charging, 12.3 volts is about 50% of a full charged battery. A charging club car is around 13.5 to 14 volts at full throttle.

Nubs

Cartaholic
Why did you change the starter in the beginning?

Does this cart have a igniter for coil or is it built into the coil, there was a coil change in 96.

SNIPER

I was killing batteries an thought generator was shot...put in new generator....lasted a month...put old one back and I am back to blowing coils and dead batteries....but it still works great...6" lift and a dump bed...handi

SNIPER

4 post coil cheap on ebay but just want something better...even buggiesunlimited coil burn out in a short time.

Nubs

Cartaholic
What is a 4 post coil?

More than likely the voltage regulator is bad, I'm assuming you have a igniter box and if you are running high rpm's the voltage regulator can't control the voltage to the coil causing it to burn out.

These are the two different coils used in 1996

SNIPER

Think i used wrong terminology...perhaps its the starting solenoid i keep replacing every couple months...heres a pic

Nubs

Cartaholic
If your starter/gen starts the engine fine with a fully charged battery then most likely it's good, i would replace the voltage regulator first and see if that does not clear up both problems your having:twocents:

SNIPER

This forum Rocks! I changed the voltage regulator and all my problems went away. Cart has been running so good it took till the snow started flying b4 I jumped off and responded. She is warm and ready to ride if ya need a lift...thanks again everyone!!!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad to hear your golf cart is back up, starting and running like it should. Thanks for the follow up. Thanks to Nubs advice for getting it sorted out for you and thanks for the compliment on the forum.