Club Car DS 48 Volt Eating Batteries

Rowland

Hello everyone. I'm the new guy to the forum. I have a 1995 Club Car DS 48 volt golf cart. I have had this cart, with no issues for about 15 years. The cart is used daily to go about a mile to my mailbox and back, and also used for running aroud on my property. During that time it has had one set of batteries replaced about 7 years ago with new Trojans. The problem Started with the charger just quitting on me all together about 6 months ago. I took the charger in and had it tested and repaired. I got it home plugged it in and all was well for about a week. thats when a single battery went out, lost voltage down to 3 volts when charged completely. I had the Trojan batteries in it but they were old. I replaced them with Energizers from Sams Club. All was well again for about 3 weeks. Then a New battery went out. I took it Back to sams and the gave me a new one. All was well again for about a month. And then, you guessed it, another battery went out. this went on with 4 batteries in total from Sams before I took the cart to a shop and had a complete test run on the cart and the charger and found that all was well. The cart shop said it was most likely a cheap battery issue. So I got Sams to refund all my money on the Energizers and then went with Trojans from the cart shop. Well guess what, I'm now 3 bad batteries into it with the Trojans. The charger is charging the correct voltage, The bank has the correct voltage when fully charged, when all the batteries are good. When I loose a battery it drops the voltage in that battery to around 3 to 5 volts. I replaced all the cables with new cables just because. The shop and I are at a loss on this one. They are trying to get Club Car to help but have found no answers yet. Can anyone please help me. I'm about to pull what is left of my hair out.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is it always the same battery in the pack that goes bad? Is there any accessories hooked to the batteries that go bad? It sounds like they may be getting over charged. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Rowland

Seems to be the same Battery in the series every time. no accessories. I thought the same thing on the over charge, but it has all been checked and rechecked. all the voltages are correct and the batteries are not getting hot like you would think with an overcharge.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well everything is good
Batteries new
Wires new
Charger repaired
Voltage good
So how can we help

You have not given us voltage sounds like one batteries hooked up backwards We will need something to work with

Rowland

It is the end Battery on the passanger side toward the back.
Bad battery after full charge is 6.4 volts
Every other battery is at 8.5 to 8.7volts
Total bank after full charge is at 49.4

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
My guess would be one wire from the charge receptacle is not hooked up to the correct battery it should be hooked to that end battery you have it on the wrong terminal