Club Car DS 36 Volt Runs at Full Speed When You Touch the Accelerator.

Big Jim

I replaced all 5 of the solenoids on my 1985 Club Car DS 36 volt golf cart this week. It worked fine for a few days. Going through all speeds. Today I hit a bump now when touch the accelerator pedal it jumps into full speed forward and reverse when you touch the accelerator pedal. I noticed when I replaced the solenoids that the grommets were pretty bad. Is it possible that it is going to ground? You can hear all of the micro switched clicking like they should. I am new to golf carts, and I am more of a mechanic than an electrician. Any help will be greatly appreciated .

Big Jim

The guy I bought it off had the same problem, he paid a guy to supposedly fix it, I called the guy, he won't tell me what he did, just wants to charge me too look at it.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome:hattip:
Sounds like the repair guy did a crappy job, somebody smarter than me will be along to help ya.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Well I would check one of the last two solenoids One of them is stuck on either by being activated or welded. Also make sure the batteries are 6 volt not 8 volt check your pack voltage and check the solenoids make sure they are rated for your voltage both coil and contacts. Do you have an aftermarket motor? Send picture

Big Jim

Original motor. 6v batteries. 36 volt solenoids. My main question, is it possible because of the bad grommets that it could be trying to ground through the frame? I assume those grommets are there for a reason. I am going to check for ground to the bolts when I get home. The guy had replaced a couple solenoids but I went ahead and replaced the whole bank. When I had hit the bump it acted up briefly and returned to normal only for a block or 2 and then full speed ahead. Also I had only been putting around for about 15 minutes after this happened I went straight home. Felt the solenoids and the flat bar connecting them, and they were extremely hot.

Big Jim

These were the old solenoids, but replaced them exactly the same way they came out. Again my friend had the same problem, and his mechanic supposedly fixed it twice.
20181225_103751.jpg

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Your wires are going under the bus bar which is hot the yellow and black to the coil one of those is touching that bus bar

Big Jim

I did look for that, and I couldn't see where they were touching. There was clearance all the way across. Sad part is I didn't have much time to investigate because I had to leave for work.

Big Jim

Ok, just checked the voltage to the solenoid bases, checking my ground theory. 1 had 7 volts, 1 had 5 volts, a couple others had a volt or 2. Pulled all solenoids off. Checked each one, they all checked out fine, again they were new, but possible I burned one up. Tomorrow I am going to buy new grommets and put it back together. I'll post back then.

Big Jim

Update. My theory was correct, the second solenoid which if I am correct is first gear. Even after changing the solenoids I still did not have first gear. That was the one that was going to ground at the base, I put all new grommets and today, not only is it working fine I now have first gear! Hopefully this solves all the problems and it doesn't come back later oh, but I am pretty sure that is where the problem was. I will post any updates if the problem comes back, until then thanks for the help hopefully this thread can help somebody in the future!

bogman

Cartaholic
Weird, I would have thought the grommets were for vibration dampening. You would also think the bakelite housing on the solenoid would have to be cracked to allow voltage to go to ground.