Club Car Charger Won't Turn On

steinhiser

let car sit for a month will not charge. have seen someone take charger apart disconnect "something"
so charger would recognize batteries charge for a couple hours then put charger back together and charge properly
can some one please explain to me how to do this
thanks

golfdog

If the car has a 48v Power Drive Charger it will not switch on if the battery pack is below 32-34 volts. If this is the case you need to bypass the charger relay. Disconnect the charger both AC and DC. Remove the charger cover (eight screws) Locate the black wire that goes from the AC circuit breaker to the relay and disconnect from the AC circuit breaker terminal. Insulate the loose end so it does not touch any other component including the case. Disconnect the wire from the transformer to the relay, at the relay, and connect this to the open terminal on the circuit breaker. The relay is now bypassed. Plug in the DC cord to the car first then the AC to an electrical outlet. The charger should begin to charge. Allow to run for one or two hours then disconnect the AC cord first then the DC cord to the car. Return the wires to their original positions, replace the charger cover. Plug in the AC then the DC and allow charger to run until it switches off automatically. If at the outset your batteries are above 34 volts then this procedure will not help and there is another problem possibly the OBC

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Thanks golfdog!!!
cool.gif

golfdog

OOPs sorry one error in this procedure. \when charging insert the DC cord before the AC and not the AC before DC as stated. Apologies I befuddled myself
yikes2.gif

Well I found out how to wire my charger. I have a 1995 powerdrive 48 club car with a power drive charger. I put the red wire on #1 Positive, the black wire on #6 negative and the gray wire with the inline fuse on the #6 negative also. The gray wire triggers the relay inside the charger. I plugged it into an outlet timer and it worked great! This is how I got around the OBC on my cart.

ls40098

Thanks a bunch , appreciate it and will let everyone know how this turns out!

There is reference in the reply from harddrive4x4 that mentions #1 positive and #6 negative, thats what was confusing me.

golfdog

I think harddrive4x4 was meaning to refer to (positive terminal ) battery#1 and (negative terminal) battery #6
twocents.gif

bowtiebrian

I have a similar question regarding my charger. I have a Lester Electronics (?) charger for my 48V club car. Recently, I have noticed the charger "cycles' on and off and frankly I don't remember it doing that before. I have been trying to charge the cart for the past two days (it sat for a few months in storage), and the green light on the charger is showing that the batteries are under 80% still. I am wondering, is the charger bad or do I have a battery(s) bad? I have checked and the water level is good in all the batteries. Any thoughts? Thanks for the input.

shadowman

1st thing is get a voltage meter and take a voltage reading from battery pack post that and we can help from there.......................
thumbup.gif

bowtiebrian

Shadowman, thanks for replying. It finally took a full charge. I am guessing that the batteries were so far down it just took longer to get a full charge. I have checked each battery and they all show 8V and a total of 48V across the entire pack. We drove it around for a while and re-tested the batteries and they still showed 8V at each.

shadowman

you will want to keep in mind that if your batts are only showing 8 volts after a full charge you may be needing a set soon........they should be approx 8.5 up to even 9 volts for a good full charged 8 volt battery...............................................
thumbup.gif