Club Car Brakes Grabbing

Lionstooth

Hello, I am new to this forum so I'd like to thanks everyone in advance for any help you might provide. My problem is with my Club Car brakes grabbing. When I step on the brakes, they seem to work ok until the cart is almost stopped and then the brake pedal jumps up towards my foot and then the brakes lock right. But they release okay.
I looked at everything, but I see (not that my evaluation is much to go on)nothing wrong. I cleaned the shoes off real good and brake cleaned everything in sight.
It really is strange because as I say, the cart stops okay until the last few revolutions of the drums, and then the pedal kicks back at your foot and then they lock up.
Any help would sure be appreciated.
Lionstooth...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check the brake cables and see if theres any slack in them. If they're pulled tight it will cause the brakes pedal to kick back and the brakes to lock up.

Lionstooth

Thanks. I will certainly check that. Do you have any idea how to adjust the brake cable? I do admit I loosened it up and tighned it a few times to see if that made any difference. I didn't.
Thanks for your time.
Lionstooth...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You'll see the adjustment at the end of the cables. Also make sure the u-bolts are tight on the rear end. Sometimes the cables are just to short after adding the lift. There's a cable extension kit available for Club Cars to compensate for the lift.

Did this problem just start all of a sudden or right after the lift was put on?

Lionstooth

No Sir:
It started all of a sudden. I've had it for a couple of years with absolutley NO problems what so ever. My wife took it down the drive way yesterday and when she hit the brakes, they locked up tight and I had to back off the cable under the cart to release the brakes enough to push it back in the garage. I had first thought that maybe a rock or something lodged between the shoes, but as I said, they really look good in there, and theres no rust or nothing in there. But no matter HOW I try to adjust them they still kick that pedal back up hard.
Surecould use some help.
Lionstooth...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check the u-bolts on the rear end. Sometimes they will loosen up and cause the rear end to rock and pull on the cables when the brakes are applied.

Lionstooth

Dear Sir: YOU ARE AWESOME!!! That was IT! BOTH U-Bolts on both sides were very loose. I tighned them both up and it is like new!
I, SIR, cannot thank you enough. You saved me an endless pack of but-aches and who knows how much money!
I would have never thought to check that.
Please accept my most profuse thanks, because my family loves that ole' golf cart. We haul all the neighborhood kids and half the dogs on it all over God's creation!
My wife and kids were buggin' me half to death to "just fix it!"
Thanks SO much again.
I LOVE this forum!
God Bless You!
Lionstooth...

Stick10

Hi, My golf cart w/lift kit was experiencing the same problem of the brakes grabbing and locking up. So I tightened the u-bolts in the rear and the problem was solved! Thanks!