This is on a 2002 Electric Club Car golf cart. What would cause my battery charger to get so hot, that it will burn your hand to the touch? I had the charger in the shop previously for not working at all. A relay was replaced, and that is when this problem started. It will charge to 8 amps and thats it. The batteries are 2 year old Dekka's. Before all this started happening, the battery charger and the golf cart worked perfectly. It takes aprox 12 hrs to charge from 15 to 8 amps. Not right. I had the charger rechecked at another reputable shop, and the charger checks out ok.