Club Car 18 Volts in Reverse

Thenewguy2019

Just got a 1982 Club Car. Batteries all wired correct 36 volts. When I went to hook up last battery cable it arced pretty bad. Got to poking around and realized that there is a cable going to the forward reverse switch with 18 volts. I unhooked it and it drives fine in forward. But any time that cable is hooked up it wants to arc. So poked around some more. This cart has the 5 solenoids with a jumper bar across one side and the resistor jumping the first four solenoids, and finally a white large gauge wire going to the motor. The final solenoid with the wire to the motor seems to be stuck on. Could this be the reason I'm getting an arc?

Thenewguy2019

I am thinking this 18 volt tap from the battery pack is for reverse. Maybe somehow that last solenoid being stuck is causing some kind of short?
For the record I am pretty unfamiliar with the forward reverse on this type of motor

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Reverse is wired for 18 volts to make the golf cart run at half speed in reverse. Some people wire it for 36 volts and full speed in reverse. Is the golf cart running in forward in reverse with and without that wire hooked up?

Thenewguy2019

So I unhooked the 18 volt wire at the for/rev switch. And it drives in forward now with the switch in the forward position. But with the wire hooked up it arcs when I try to connect the last battery terminal wire. I was wondering how the forward and reverse actually works on these motors. If it's a matter of swapping two wires for forward and reverse then maybe that stuck solenoid is my problem?

Thenewguy2019

So basically im not sure it could be that since the solenoid is stuck the motor is trying to run as soon as the battery is hooked up? But wouldn't it be the same with forward if that was the case?

Thenewguy2019

To be more clear, the main negative wire arcs really bad when I go to put it on the terminal, but only when the switch is in reverse. Neutral and forward has no issues

Thenewguy2019

Found it! Two wires between the motor and the forward rev switch were backwards. All good now thank you for the info hotrod really helped me figure out the switch and reversing of the motor. I had thought that the 18 volt tap was someone's boo boo and threw me all for a loop

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad to hear you got the wiring sorted out and your golf cart is back up and running. Thanks for the follow up. :thumbsup: