Clean, Repair and Paint TXT and Medalist Plastic Parts

metalchewy

In starting to get my EZGO Medalist into better condition, I need to remove paint that was put over the molded plastic front body.
20240514_072957.jpg
First question, can anything stronger than Mineral Spirits be used to remove paint? Looks like filler primer and enamel on the top coat. Scraping only chips it off where it was lifted.
20240515_064957.jpg
Second question.
Is there a way to fill cracks and chips on the original finish? Anyone had luck with bondo?. As it looks like a gel coat I recall in fiberglass work bondo or filler primer doesn't sit well.
20240515_065010.jpg
20240515_065017.jpg
Finally, what paints have people had success with in top coating the plastic parts?

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
That body is too far gone looks like it was beat scraped dented and gouged then someone put a whole layer of bondo over the top which is all flaking off now. I stopped painting bodies a while ago it wasn’t cost effective vs. just buying a new one. If you are going to paint it I would find a used body that’s in better shape. For damages you need to use a special plastic filler that stays flexible for any minor imperfections, big stuff I would plastic weld with the leftover material from the headlight/taillight holes. The key though is find a body with as much good original finish as possible as the new paint will adhere best to that. You should give that a decent sanding with ~400 grit, and any bare plastic you want to use adhesion promoter before the primer. Sanding down to bare plastic doesn’t work because it exposes the plastic fibers which will give the paint a “fuzzy” rough look.

metalchewy

I agree with this assessment.

Until I find a replacement for a price that is right, I'm considering just sanding the bondo off and coating it with a $15 can of bed liner.

metalchewy

Was out at O'Reilly's today and picked up some bed liner and some paint for the beat up dash and black trim.
20240516_184417.jpg
Will hit it with a sanding cup brushes this weekend before it gets hot on Saturday. Curious to see how it goes.

Notsoslim

I agree with GCW on this for sure. Most of the bedliner material remains flexible so it expands and contracts with the plastic during major temperature swings.