CHARGING PROBLEM

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
My Honda which has a 2001 Club Car 48 volt system in it is not charging correctly. I have been noticing the charger shuts off quickly and does not fully charge the car. Even when the car is fully drained it runs for 2 hours and then shuts off. It's not the charger because I tried my sister's charger and the same thing happens. We both have the 48 volt Powerdrive, but mine is the larger 17 amp. The batteries are brand new and were reading 8.08-8.11 for a total of 48.6 volts when I checked them today after charging.
yucky.gif
yikes2.gif
Put it back on the charger, this time my sisters. It charged for 20 minutes and clicked off.
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif
WTF

The batteries in my golf cart(same age as the ones in the car) are at 8.48 after running all day. I put it on the charger several hours ago and it is still going. Batteries are up to 9.3+.

Can it be that the huge 2/0 ga cables in my car are allowing current to flow through faster and tricking the OBC into thinking it is fully charged? I know it use to fully charge before installing the 2/0 cables.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

One more thing, am I killing the batteries by running them below 8 volts? I have no other choice if the charger barely keeps them above 8.0.
dazed053.gif

shadowman

try going back to 6 gage just to see if charger works..........its also possible OBC is going out on it.................................
cool.gif

JRay

Cartaholic
I would ditch that obc and go with a straight 48 volt charger. You can convert that charger unless you are using it for a cart and your car.
twocents.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I agree with JRay, eliminate the OBC and add a timer to your charger. I don't think the 2/0 cables should have any effect on the charging...

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
How do you bypass the OBC? Is is ok to charge the batteries by jumping them to my golf cart? Just for now anyway to get them up to a safe level.

JRay

Cartaholic
Nates site, dcspeed.biz has diagrams to rewire without the obc, thats what i used to rewire my 90 when i went from resistor to a controller. You can jump from 48 to 48. You running a micor or a pot box?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
To get the batteries fully charged your going to need the charger to do it. When you replaced the cables with the 2/0 cables did you leave the 6 guage cable connected that runs through the OBC? If not run the cable through the OBC and just double up the 2 cable connections and the charger should work if the OBC is good. Another words you'll have 2 cables on those connections, the 2/0 and a 6 guage.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Oh does the cable have to run through the OBC? I did change that one to 2/0 but also don't have access to run a cable through the OBC because of how its mounted.

Does Nate make custom high voltage controllers? Checked his site out but it is being updated.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Thanks for all the help.
biggrin.gif
I'll rework the controller panel mounting and runt he cable through the obc. After charging the batteries are around 8.75 volts for a total of 52.7. Do these numbers sound good?

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Good thing you guys are here to fix my newbie mistakes.
thumbup.gif
I couldn't see how the cable going through there would affect it. Interesting..how does it work by sensing through the wire?

shadowman

i,m guessing but seems it has to sense it going thur.......you would think it wouldn,t matter but it does.............run into it alot when people upgrade wiring and can,t get the terminal thur.......you have to put terminal on after you run wire thur......................i,d like to know if you just hung a peice of cable thur there if cart would run or is it sensing voltage........................
cool.gif

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I finally bought some connectors and ran the cable through there. It charged all night long and each battery was at 8.7 volts this morning.
biggrin.gif
thumbup.gif

shadowman

glad to hear it........just so you guys know you can,t by pass the OBC on every year C.C. i,m not sure what year it started but its either 97 or 98 that from that year up bypassing OBC dosn,t work,.................................
cool.gif