Charging/charger/battery question

parrothead60450

Hi, just joined up and perused the forum for a ton of great information. Looks like there is lots of it here, but could not find anything specific to my problem. If there is somewhere then my apolagies for asking again.

Towards the end of last season the range of the cart started dropping drastically. Being that they are the original batteries, I am assuming that they need replaced and put the cart away for the year and plan on dealing with the batteries in the spring (now). Today when I plug in the charger it will not kick on. Power Drive is the name on the charger. I am not reading any voltage from the plug. Should I be with out the load? I am thinking that I should not be able to read anything at all on it.

Thanks in advance

Greg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

The batteries need to be at around 28 volts to turn the charger on. Anything lower and the charger won't turn on. The charger won't put out any voltage without sensing battery voltage at the plug.

parrothead60450

Thank you much for the info. After reading further info on this fantastic site, I have determined that the batteries were made in 2000, thus meaning that my cart is a 2000 rather than a 2000 like I had in my head. After checking and filling the batteries with distilled water later I will see what reading I get and go from there. Thanks so far.

JRay

Cartaholic
Funny thing happened to me this winter, 2 carts a 90 36 volt resistor cart and an 04 controller cart. Every month i would plug the chargers in and let them go, all fine up untill last month or so, the 04 charger would not shut off and the 90 would drop voltage real fast. like the next day. Right away i thought o crap bad batteries. These carts were stored here for my neighbors that go south for the winter. The 90 got pulled out of storage and was driven around, first charge all was fine. Next the 04 got pulled out and driven and it was charged up later and the charger shut of like it was supposed to. I took readings on both these carts and never could pinpoint a bad battery.What i am thinking is they needed to be driven and the batteries shook up. I might be all wet on this one but this is the first time i have ran into this, on 2 carts to boot that are completely different animals. Any thoughts?

Fishing Dude

Had the 97 plugged in all winter batteries are fully charged, did unplug when the 95 would be charged every month. No clue on your delema but might be needed unplugged, and plugged back in.