Charging batteries

flushndog

I am totally confused and probably should have taken my 1993 to a mechanic. Started out that the cart would only go in reverse. I replaced the solenoid, forward/reverse switch. I've now ordered a new v switch. The existing looks well worn. Here is my confusion. Last night after putting things together the cart breifly moved forward. The battery indicator showed full charge and immediatly went to 0 and was flashing. Is there anything else I should be checking? I just got this cart so I am not sure if the fuse above the charger receptacle should be lit when charging? It is not. I obviously shouldnt have started this because of my lack of experience but now I'm on a mission.

shadowman

you need to get a digital voltage meter and test your batteries, also have them load tested..........check them for water ( use distilled water only ) to about 1/4 inch above lead plates and also check cable ends they have to be clean and tight........its possible thats all thats wrong with cart as it takes takes to move in reverse it makes sense..............when you plug charger in does needle on charger move up into the say 10 to 15 amp range? if so its working............the fuse dosn,t light up.........and if its charging always leave charger on until it shuts off..................depending on age and how they were maintained you might need batteries............good luck and if you do take it somewhere make sure you trust them and make sure they know what they are doing..............................
cool.gif

shadowman

i would proceed with having the batteries tested and load tested and all cells checked with a hydrometer......also eliminate them 1st as the problem.......................................
cool.gif

shadowman

that should cure you as it only takes one bad battery to stop the cart..................its a battery powered car and the batteries are very critical here thats why the last place you ever want to cut corners or skimp on are the batteries...............................................
cool.gif

shadowman

Nice when its a simple fix and you don,t have to go past the basics, i think 75% of elec. cart issues are no more than battery related but it seems thats the last place people want to look for some reason.