Charger stays at 5 amps

Baldy_54

My batteries are three years old. They are not Trojans but 8 volt cart batteries.
Everything is normal except the charger stays a 5 amps for what feels like forever.
Is this normal and okay to take the charger off after quite some time? Is this typical of
batteries with some age on them? Thanks

Baldy_54

Okay, how long is long enough?
tip.gif

shadowman

not uncommon for it to charge 12 hours or better.......theres a 16 hour time limit on the charger if its a C.C. charger so it will shut off own its on at 16 hours but its very important that you let the charger go until its done otherwise your gonna start having battery issues and scratching your head as to why............as long as everything is normal let it go until its done...............
cool.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
I've had them on for all of 12 hrs. If ya don't smell sulfur and they're full of water, you should be fine. Once they get to 5-7 on the meter, they tend to sit there for quite some time. HRC probably knows the better than me. I just like to be noticed...
yes.gif
rotflmao.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I agree with shadowman and DS. Let the charger run. After 12 hours or so the meter should start dropping under 5 amps. If it's still at 5 amps after 16 hours you may have a battery problem.

Baldy_54

Yep, I kind of figured that South. never hurts to enjoy a laugh now and then. HRC, the Shadowman and of course you are very helpful. Thanks.
thumbup.gif

Baldy_54

Well, I tried to leave the charger hooked up for a 16 hour shut down automatically. It was not in the cards, we had a downpour like a sheet of water and had to shut off the charger at approx. 12 hours. Think I will give the 16 hour test a rest until I run the batteries down and try again. South, does that get your blessingl?
wallbash.gif
rotflmao.gif
thumbup.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Yeah, It won't hurt to plug it up again today, it won't start back from notta. You're close to a full charge.
thumbup.gif