Golf Cart Usage

S.E.R.

tractor pulls this weekend in zellwood fl....just a few minutes from the house ....butch (e-z money ) IS GOING TO PULL THE MINI SLED WITH HIS E-Z GO WORKHORSE FRI &SAT. NIGHT GOIN TO RUN A BUDDY'S NEW MINI ROD ALSO SOULD BE A GOOD TIME THIS WEEKEND :yes:

914Driver

We use carts to pull sailplanes on and off the runway. No engine = no taxi.

Poke around any glider websites and you'll see this is common around the world.

I have a question (should be in the tech area) but FAA requires a flashing yellow light on the cart whenever it's on the taxiway. Problem is students and not so technical people hop out and leave the key on, light rotating and draining the battery.

I installed 6 X 12" solar panels on the roof to boost the battery, but it's not enough.

How can I wire the light to ONLY come on when the engine/alternator is putting out?

Thanks, Dan

BTW: This is a Blanik L23 two seat trainer. Weighs about 800 lbs., vs a single seat high performance glider which weighs about 400 lbs.

IMG_16941_zps24fbfb86.jpg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If it's a gas cart you should be able to wire the lights positive wire to the post on the solenoid that gets 12 volts when you press the throttle.

914Driver

Thanks Hot Rod, it worked. It does indeed come on with engine rpm. Nothing is idiot proof but I'll take idiot resistant.

In the spring when we start ops again I'll post nicer pictures.

Dan

914Driver

We have two 2006 Club Cars used to pull sailplanes around. Once landing, they don't taxi well with no prop. The small airport required a flashing light, the LED types interfered with the cart's electronics, made the engine skip. I'll try to get some photos of them pulling stuff around. They sleep in a metal container next to the hangar.

Welcome to the Adirondack Soaring Association We have ~85 members, the cheapest flying you'll find. $500 includes all instruction and use of the ships, just pay for the tows.

Dan

2qkCuyf.jpg

914Driver

I'd like to add too, because we do long runs chugging along near idle, the battery never really gets charged up. I put these Harbor Freight panels on the roof, dead batteries stopped; about $13. I ran the wire down the rain tube at the rear pillar,
I also installed race car type 5 panel wink mirrors so the driver can keep an eye on the wing runner, ~$15 @ JCWhitney.
maxresdefault.jpg

914Driver

My buddy made a Rail Rider, originally with pedals but now sports a 9hp Honda. He cruises the Adirondack Mountains on abandoned tracks, camping along the way, Two rules: get permission and have plastic wheels so you don't trip any switches.

Rail Rider.