Cart jerky at slow speeds and will not charge

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
My 01 Club Car will intermittently cut out at slow speeds(1-7mph) but goes steady when at full throttle.
Another thing I am having difficulty with is getting it to charge. The charger I just bought is a Lester 17 amp. When I plug it in to the cart it does come on but the buzz is very faint(can only be heard with my ear practically on the charger) and also the amp meter never rises.
I tested the charger on my sister's identical 01 Club Car to make sure the charger is working right. It came on right away and had the loud distinct buzzing sound and the amp meter went up too.

Any ideas why my cart is doing this?

ben12

I have a 03 cc and mine started jerking at all times and I had 2 batteries with 1 bad cell each, no cahrger problem at that time.

JRay

Cartaholic
What does your charger put out compared to hers, check it out with a volt meter.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Do you check that by connecting the neg volt meter to the neg wire w/ fuse right off the charger port and the pos to the pos terminal on the first battery? If that's the right way to do it then my charger is putting out about 50 volts.

The batteries are new as of this month and I just checked all show over 8 volts. Is that why it's not charging? LOL Its still strange to me how the charger kicks on very slightly.

I took the cart out a few minutes ago to drain the batteries some and see if that would make it charge. NOPE got it below 48 volts and the charger will still barely buzz and the amp meter shows zip.
But aside from that somehow the cart "fixed" it's cutting out problem. For the first 15 minutes it would cut in and out as usual at slow speeds or when stomping on the accelerator. Then I noticed once it warmed up the cart didnt do this anymore.

Friekness huh?

JRay

Cartaholic
If your sisters charger charges your cart and yours doesn't, something wrong with the charger.I would get both chargers and start with your volt meter to narrow down the problem.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I haven't gone over to get my sisters charger yet but I think there's good news for my charger. I was messing around with it today and jumped my other green 48 volt club car(doesn't have it's own batteries) to the battery pack and the charger works on this cart too. Maybe the OBC is bad on the 01? I'll swap the OBC out with another cart and see if it works then. Does the OBC just control charging or could that also be causing the cart to jerk? (although its not jerking as bad anymore)

JRay

Cartaholic
Swap out the obc as you have one handy, cheapest way to go. Your charger will not work without it i'm sure. You can bypass the obc, but then you have to rework the charger. When i converted my 90 to a controller cart i bought a straight 48 volt charger, not dependent on a obc. Hope this makes sence.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Thanks for the help JRay. Turns out the obc was causing the charging problem. It's doing great now.
biggrin.gif

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
One more question, how many volts should a fully charged 8 volt battery show? Mine got up to 8.5 and the charger was still going untill I unplugged it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've seen the 8 volt batteries get close to 10 volts towards the end of the charge cycle. 8.5 volts would be good about 1 hour after the charger has shut off...

JRay

Cartaholic
I put a meter on my 07 batt. Total pack 49.8, it needs charging No batt below 8.30.

JRay

Cartaholic
I charged my 90 cc 48 volt today, when it shut off 53.6, 30 min. later 51.5, 8.54 was the lowest batt. 8.74 the highest, other 4 8.65. These are old 02 batt. I'm gonna do the same to the 02 tomorrow with 07 batt. just to see the difference.
biggrin.gif

JRay

Cartaholic
Just checked my 07 batt. in my o2 cart. Must have finished awhile ago. 51.7 total pack, most batt 8.74 not a lot of difference. Any opinions on this test? The old trojans on my 90 02 batt. are holding pretty good.
thumbup.gif