carb. problem

ftfixer

tip.gif
need a little help i am working on a cart at work it is a 2005 model txt with the 295 robins it was running very rough when it came into the shop. the first thing i checked was the firing of the plugs it has good fire but 1 plug was dry and the other wet . next i checked the valves made some very minor adjustments and started again still had the same problem. i started to take a look at the carb. next i found the black knob at the engine side of the carb. had apparently either vibrated all the way to the left or either someone had tinkered with it any way when i just touched it it popped off and looked like the shaft was broken. question is if this was closed off would it cause this problem if not what should i check next.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i would want to know what the compression is first, not saying that the adjuster won't have some affect on it but one wet one dry plug makes me think there may be other problems

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Ya coulda had my back and told him ta adjust the valves again...
rotflmao.gif
Has he tried new plugs???

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the valves are adjusted to .004-.006 check to see if that piston moving. It may have broke a rod but you should have heard some noise.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
a broken rod is some what common in these engines, pull the plugs and stick a pencil or screwdriver in the hole and rotate the engine by hand to see if the piston is moving.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
most likely the crank journal will be the worse part, they can be saved most of the time if there cleaned up properly. the aluminum from the rod will fuse to the journal like the one on the left.

295crank.jpg

ftfixer

tip.gif
thats about what i was thinking i'll let you know what i find when i have time to tear it down and i appreciate all of the info.
usaflag1.gif