Can We Bypass the On-Board Computer Charging Controller

jmhoke113

I am just asking this for a friend...he has a 1999 Club Car 48V electric golf cart that will not charge. Is there a way to bypass the on-board computer charging controller unit by using an aftermarket charger with a built in computer? Best place to get one of those? Also, he wanted to build a 48V battery pack - has anyone tried this? Thanks.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can bypass the OBC and use a different charger. A new OBC would be cheaper than a new charger though. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Be careful what you're getting for 250 decent charger will be 250 plus to 350 plus check its output amperage. Obc should not be anywhere close to $500 Maybe 175 to 275

BozieB4

I'm in sorta the same predicament. I have two of the PowerDrive chargers for my 1999 Club Car 48v DS Regen II and my OBC will not send a ground signal to the chargers. I have jumpered one of the chargers to run without the OBC but I have to babysit it so as not to overcharge the pack.
If I completely remove the OBC, I will need a new charger, plus, I'll have two chargers I can't use anymore.
So, Jim if you find a working situation, please let me know

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can buy a timer for the chargers or use a 110 volt outlet timer. There was a lot of people doing that back when Club Car first started using the failure prone OBC. The newer replacement OBC last a lot longer.

BozieB4

True but then you would need a timer that runs each day, right? To maintain the batteries.
Also, if the charger is starting each day, how do you make sure it is only doing a float charge and not pushing the voltage over 60 volts?
When I run the jumpered charger, it does drop down to 5 amps but the batteries are at 60 volts and the charger never goes to -0- charge!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you want to leave the charger plugged in all of the time when the golf cart isn't being used you really need to replace the OBC. The manual timer will only work for a specific set time for each charge and not really meant to turn the charger on and off daily or float charging.

BozieB4

I have come to the conclusion (by price shopping) that the OBD is just as expensive as a new charger and with a new OBD you would still have two areas to fail in the future. The same OBD issues and the same charger issues.
New OBD $300.00 plus
I have had a this charger recommended:
Lester Summit Series II Battery Charger, $330.00

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you go the new battery charger route make sure you buy a good one. The cheap battery chargers will give you nothing but headaches down the road. :twocents:

BozieB4

Also, if I understand the duties of the OBD, it is more for fleet operators anyway. The only two items that I will be giving up is the regen feature and and the 'Cart Disabled When Charging' feature.
I understand that I'll need to join the blue and white leads from the old wiring harness as well to prevent the OBD from telling the controller to go to sleep, right?
Besides, if I could fix the PowerDrive charger to 'Float Charge', Id have it made!!

BozieB4

That's good to know because I live on a moderate hill and the kids love to fly out of the drive like nuts and I know if they don't let up, the cart will keep going but if they do see traffic and let up, the regen will help to slow down the cart

BozieB4

1999 CC DS 48v Regen2, sepex cart
Ser #AA9941-
Well, I purchased the:
Lester Summit Series II Battery Charger 650W 36/48V With Club Car 3-Pin Molded Plug, 8.5 Ft. DC Cord
Part #30600-11(H)
Just received the charger today and I have already started in by removing the old OBD.
I removed the OBD wiring from the charge receptacle and replaced the #6 battery ground cable with a new #4 cable.
If I am reading the forums correctly on 'how to remove the OBD', my next step is to jumper the white and blue wire, including a inline fuse, and then plug the OBD/controller plug back in. Then I'll be ready to figure out how to correctly wire it & make sure it works before I mount the charger.
Any heads up I should know?
Note: I only have a jpeg of the charger that comes with the 3 pin OEM cord

Attachments

• 6868L.jpg
    6868L.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 8

BozieB4

Just a follow up, I have mounted the charger and have it up and running. A piece of cake. The app is a little odd in the fact that it's bluetooth and you do not have to associate with your phone, it just works

Attachments

• Summit Charger (1).jpg
    Summit Charger (1).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Summit Charger (3).jpg
    Summit Charger (3).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 15

BozieB4

Thanks, the only question that I have is the charger says it is setup for line drop losses of 9 feet on the charging feed wiring. Does this mean I can't shorten the feed or if I do, I can re-specify the line loss length?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would think that would mean not to make the DC cord on the battery longer than 9 feet but I'm not 100% sure with that specific charger. Seeing how the battery charger is a onboard setup I'm surprised it would have a 9 foot DC cord. Does the manual say anything about changing the length of the DC cord? You could always leave the cord as is, roll it up and wire tie it out of the way.

BozieB4

No, the manual does not say you can shorten it, but the app has a place that states that it is a factor. So, I assume it can be changed I just can't enter anything here, Yet