Can’t Get Speed Code 4

Villager6

None of this would be an issue if I just went with a Alltrax ? If I did the Alltrax, not being as familiar with all the settings I would need to do, what would I need to know ? The owner was going to let me spend $500 to change out the controller and get a higher speed code installed. Now I see it’s more involved. It was all just to help sell the cart. Don’t think that $500 would cover a Alltrax and if I installed it, how would I set it up ? Remember l, I’m all new to this stuff. Good at mechanical, but not well versed in electronics.

Notsoslim

Diode, Are you referring to the OEM Curtis 1520-5550 or the Curtis 1268-5403 he wants to replace it with?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
When you're buying Alltrax it comes set up for the motor that's in your cart then you can just set odds and ends and speed and monitor it if you need to repair it you can see all of the settings everything that's making or not making so the basic field map is set up for you.

Diode

Unless you know what the programming is you may not need to match 500 amp with 500 amp for instance take the 250 amp stock controller 1510 that controller is only set to put out 130 amp

Notsoslim

How do you determine how many amps your controller is actually putting out? Or could he determine which alltrax controller to get get by providing the model number of the motor? The 2008 parts manual shows the motor for that year is DA5-4006 but he hasn't provided the actual model year of his cart yet.
If the goal is more speed D&D has a motor they claim will offer 17mph with 10% more torque (link). That would be a 5 mph increase over what he has now. D&D won't warranty their motor unless the rest of the cart is bone stock. Is changing the motor a better option?

Villager6

I would think the motor wouldn’t matter if the controller is the limiting factor. I thought about yanking the motor and sending it Plum Quick, but as I said previously.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If you change the motor it would still be limited to 12mph by the speed sensor. You could try ordering a speed magnet to fool the controller into doubling the speed, however I know some newer club cars have software which can detect a speed magnet and trigger limp mode.

Diode

17mph is nothing most of d and d motors are not made for speed i have had stock motors hit 30mph with 22 in tires 22 to 24 on stock tires. Like I said that controller is not set up for that motor and for Speed and it cannot be set up correctly with that motor it will not go low enough on the field I'm talking about the 1520 or the 1268

Diode

Stock motors are good for 375 to 425 amps so a 500 amp controller will need to be turned down a 400 amp will be very close maybe just under this is for torque only speed on flat ground can acheve the same speed with 100 amps or less when set correctly

Villager6

Tech coming Monday am, guess I’ll see what he can do if anything. Anything I should ask him beyond “can you speed this up with a code ?” Like looking into the controller settings.

Villager6

Well today was good day ! Tech hooked up and found the controller was unlocked and opened it up to speed code 4. Test drive was 19-20mph. $90 well spent. Thank you everyone for all your help. So would the Code 5 work for me know?

Villager6

The cart was on code 2 @ 8mph and then I changed to a speed magnet and aired up the tires and got 12mph. But this is night and day at 19mph. Just wish I could have had him shut down the regen so it would coast.