cam shaft rivets

Jeffintampa

Hi all I have a club car Turf 2 with a FE 350 It died on me so I pulled he engine and pulled the crank case cover off and found it had sheared the Rivets off the cam shaft gear. I went to Napa and bought some rivets the same size put it back together and it ran great for 10 hours and did it again, so I pulled it again and sure enough it shearded off the rivets. Put new ones in again and ran good for 8-10 hours then quit again. Can anyone tell me why its shearing off the rivets? When it runs it runs good. Help

Volkemon

NEWBIE to the club car scene, just took over the mechanics position at a facility that has about 35 carryall2 carts. The first 'dead engine' I encountered had the same problem you describe.

Examination of all cam bearing surfaces showed no lack of lubrication, so I used (4) 10-24 stainless allen head bolts to reattach the cam gear. The holes in the cam accepted the tap and threaded easily, and I applied thread locker to the threads. The flat plate on the top of the gear had warped a little from the break, I pounded it flat.

Cart has been out for two weeks now with no comeback... FWIW

Jeffintampa

I tore the whole thing apart, pulled the lifters and found that a one of the hydralic or mechanical lifters was binding up. put new ones in and re riveted it and so far so good. I will try the screws thanks

Volkemon

Well, I hope that the rivets you put in dont fail and require you to try the screws. ;\

The motor I did that on has been running GREAT. Lucky for me it was the lead tech's cart...excellent way to start a new position.

I did not think that the lifter could cause the rivets to shear. Good idea!