Bypass the Ignitor

twobchbums

What is the purpose of the ignitor? Can you bypass it and run a 12 volt wire directly to the coil through the ignition switch?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the pulser coil from the flywheel tells the ignitor when to send power to fire the coil. the ignitor replaced the points and condenser that was in the older engines.

is your ignitor bad :dazed:

twobchbums

The cart is a 96 CC. I replaced the coil and the ignitor. After two hours the cart quit firing. I replaced the new ignitor with the old one and it fired right up. Its been running fine for about two weeks. It left me stranded with no fire to the plug. I shorted the plug wire and it immediately started firing with good spark. Now its intermittent but every time I short out the plug wire it has good spark. Any help would be appreciated.

shadowman

If you replaced the coil/ignitor combo and had same problem then put old ignitor back on and still have same problem than its either the rpm limitor or your old ignitor is going bad and the coil/ignitor combo you bought was bad right out of the box. What are the odds? I would put a rpm limiter on it. :thumbsup:

twobchbums

I didn't buy the coil/ignitor combo. 96 CC shows them separate. I replaced the coil and the ignitor. The ignitor went bad. I replaced it with the old one. I guess the old one is going bad now. I removed the RPM limitor, so thats not a factor. I can replaced the coil and the limitor with a combo unit?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
it sounds like a bad ground somewhere or broken wire that reconnects when its moved. make sure the grounds from the engine and ignitor are good, if a replacement part fails and the original part solves the problem tells me that the problem is in the wiring harness or connectors.