Building my own motors

GarageBuilt

Starting with the can.. I understand once the can becomes saturated with voltage that it will just no longer accept any more... The armature will no longer spin any faster.. I know you can boost a motor over 300- volts.. Just not all at one time.. And depending on the size of the can depends on how many volts your motor can hold... Now this is the way that I understand it to be... By building a thicker can I will have more usable volts. Am I on the right track here guys or did I totally misunderstand?

dougmcp

Series motors are not restricted in speed, the more voltage you apply, the faster it goes.
The only advantage to a really high voltage (144v-288v) is that it reduces the amperage load, wire size and power switching component requirements for a given horsepower.

Basically explained the only thing that keeps a series motor from spinning is the voltage applied and the load.
The brushes have a limiting factor as the arcing of the brushes reaches a critical point of no longer being able to bridge the commutator and conduct power at high speeds. This number is generally above the 8000 rpm range.

The size of the can determines it's ability to enclose the windings and run cool enough under load.
As you apply a load, you require more amperage and therefore larger windings to carry the amperage generated by the load.

As the load gets higher, more demands are placed on the windings and the brushes to conduct the current.

In the end with high torque applications, heavy windings and heavy brushes are needed to avoid thermal breakdown.

redriderno22

there is alot more to it than just the can...

The laminated core of the field has alot to do with the "magnetic saturation"..

if you add more to the core you can increase that point but

it has more to do with the wire used in the field, or its total cross sectional area.

but it really is not the field you need to look at for power.

its the armature and the brushes.

GarageBuilt

The main concern with boosting my plum quick motor was the size of the can.... They are on the small side.. Not good for boosting...I’m not saying that’s a bad thing.. But boosting 200-300 volts to a drag motor will become the way of our outlaw drag carts.. And I want to get it right.... Now I have a controller that can go up to 4-500-volts... But my rear end will not stand up to that kind of voltage all at once plus hitting a golf cart motor with 300- volts all at once will turn it inside out...

sinkorslim

with a 72 volt system with a 700 amp 72 volt controller what motor would u reccomend.. i have a stock ezgo rearend?

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
how much money you want to spend and how fast you want to go???? are you planing on changeing the rear gears????

sinkorslim

i feel like i am turning too many rpms...i have a stock ezgo rearend 12 inch tires, also 700 amp flight systems controller with a 1.5 second ramp..and a motor being rebuilt and banded again,, i hope i dont melt it down again, hope the rpms arent too much...probably should go to a lower speed motor

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
i think you said you did 58mph and your running stock gears?????

we have over 50 pass on the 1/8 track and 7 or more passes on 300ft sand drags on our motors....

the motor we run according to the math is running over 11000 rpm....

if you want to run the motor you have you might think of a gear change to 8:1

that gear changes is good for 8 to 10 mph

joe100

Wow ! How do you's get er going like that? I would like to try a build like that have no idea what it takes to do and funds are low. JOE
wacko.gif

GarageBuilt

Dam Randy your old school & got left out in time... Pay the candy & get the new one.... I can sale you one....F/K you robby you p\Of chit want to be.... 104 mph Is that you or buddha talking Just sit tight son I will see you in pageland ....