Building a Roll Bar Cage for my Club Car Golf Cart

DR CHROME

Hi all. I'm building my own roll bar cage for my Club Car golf cart. I'm going to use some of the designs I've seen here and put my twist on it. The problem is what material to use, black iron (HEAVY) EMT(light, but not on the strong side, maybe if i use 1.5?).trying to be safe and keep the weight down. Im leaning to the EMT !.5 tied to the frame, much better than what is on there. THANKS for any ideas.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
For all the roll bars I have helped with, the most popular is a tube with the wall thickness of .002 thin. The thicker the wall, the safer it is and the easier to weld. Don't short yourself.

DR CHROME

thanks.Ill try to find, the wall on emt is close,molly is out of sight,I think black iron will be to heavy.might make the cart top heavy.(6"and22"tires)I know the emt will bend but gussets and cross beams will help.Will post pics when i figure out how,can turn a wrench weld ect but puuters not the best at,still working on

fabbinman

I use 1.5" diameter, 11 guage cold rolled steel tubing for my cages, brush guards, etc that I build for carts. It seems to be strong enough, easy to bend with a manual bender, easly welded and gussets add additional strength

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
I scored a sander with a disk and belt. I never did check to see the dia. of the roller at the end of the belt, but I have hopes I can match it with tubing OD to make nice joints. That is if I ever do a tubing project again.

calllen9

We use 1 1/2 .095 tubing mild steel , .083 chrome moly and for our cages on our drag kart we use .134 wall tubing

classycarts

Cartaholic
I will try to post a pic. of my roll bar on my CC. I went to Summit Racing and bought a cage for a 69 Camaro. Then modified it to fit. I added the funny car cage later. Well, after a friend crashed at a local drag race! His helmet came in contact with the asphalt.

marschall

Made my roll bar on my E-Z-GO Marathon from a chain link fence gate.

fc2_zpsa1546a77.jpg