Bigger Intake and Exhaust Valves

goirish

One of Nubs post was a pic with the caption "Everybody likes bigger valves". I'm assuming that those were the intake & exhaust? If so, a bigger fuel & air intake would require more exhaust also? Would that also require a larger exhaust pipe? I would also assume you have to buy bigger valves or can you machine the originals?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the more air it can suck in and blow out with least amount of effort is the goal, but once you change something it effects everything else down the line. theres a crazy amount of things you need to modify to get everything to play well together, bigger intake valve takes a bigger carb and the same goes for the exhaust. but all that only goes so far, you also need change how far the valves open and for how long to be able to draw more air/fuel into the cylinder. then ya need to increase the compression to efficiently burn the added fuel. the timing of when the spark plug fires also plays a big part. i'm tryin' to come up with a easy way to explain it but i'm not sure there is one :rotflmao:
most fellas will change there exhaust and add a bigger carb and think there doin' something but in the end only there ears and mind are feelin' an increase and not where it counts, the seat of your pants :yes:

goirish

I understand what your saying. :thumbsup: So if you were to build an engine for more torque what is your starting point?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well, that depends on the engine. some are easier to increase than others, if were just talkin' basic stuff than carburetion, camshaft, exhaust and compression will give you something you can feel. torque and hp don't always go hand in hand.

goirish

Was looking at engines at Farm & Fleet and the lawnmower guy said that Briggs are made in china now. Is this true?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
70% or so is china made parts as of the last few yrs, many are still assembled in the US. steer clear from the Intek series, same crap as the knock off clones. i'd rather run used or rebuilt mid 90's to around 03 engines :twocents:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
these are EZGO 4 cycle engine parts, robin, subaru and fujl heavy industries are Japanese owned company's. but over the last three yrs the labels are showin' up as made in china.

Zman

Cartaholic
I'm with OP , more voltage = more speed :naughty: Listen up, the faster the fuel and air mix goes in an engine ,burns and comes out = speed ( ZoomZoom!) , if you want torque slowly let the mixture in and play around in the cylinder awhile before coming out. (Put-Put -Put) !

goirish

Iv'e been reading posts about checking and adjusting the valves. Just wondering if anyone has any pics of how to check them and correct them. :thumbsup:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i know theres a blow by blow for the ez go's some where here.

that kinda sound'ed like a BGW post right there :rotflmao: :unsure: