Better Cooling for Stock and Big Block V-Twin Engines

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
This post is sorta for the big blocks and stock engines and better cooling. I'm not familiar with where the air intake is for cooling the big blocks v-twin engines but I read there is problems with them overheating. I was watching trucks today and it got me thinking. Could you cut a hole in the sheet metal near the F/R lever is and put in a 12" electric fan to bring air for when rock crawling?
My other question is on a stock engine would it be good to put an electric computer fan inside your air intake hose blowing cold air into your airbox or can this be harmfull? I think tcd did something like this but I dont think he had it positioned to blow into the air box but its been a long time so maybe that is what he was trying to do.

ubercart

Do a search on ebay for boat louvers. I have seen those installed in the kick area of the rear body behind your feet and work pretty well. I plan on doing those and a small electric radiator fan.

Clayboy

I wondered about this myself. I haven't put the rear body on the G-9 yet, cause I ain't done fabbin things. I plan on cutting a hole in the bagwell area to let some heat and exhaust escape. I might end up with a custom exhaust that would vent under the body, and if this happens, my vent hole would be much smaller. I was thinking 12x12 at first, but might cut that down to 6x6 or not at all.

WALKNTALL

These motors all have built in fans on the fly wheel that blows air across the heads, the shrouds on the motors are more functional than for looks, they guide the forced air across the heads. If you remove the shrouds it might overheat.

Clayboy, don't worry about overheating. Do whatever you want to get heat out, but overheating isn't a concern.

We don't need any rumors started here. :cool:

Frank

TheNewGuy

Venting the engine compartment on any gas cart certainly is not a bad
thing to do. Especially for the guys with the muffler right under the seat!!

WALKNTALL

I'm pretty sure the only way you'll make a noticeable difference is relocating the muffler. 500 degrees 3" away from your butt needs more than venting. o_O Unless of course you do what Spriddle suggested and offer Matt a ride. :stop:

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Frank
I have read about it quite a bit on one of those golf cart forums. I'll try to find some of the threads.

Ubercart I am going to look into those boat louvers. Sounds cool.

Oh by the way I bet Matt would do an excellent job cooling the engine. :) He's had plenty of practice blowing on stuff. :) J/K

Georgia sucks at registering motorcycles. Its been a month and I still havent got the title so I could sell it and get doing this vtwin swap.

I don't suppose I could put my 1100cc, water cooled, shaft driven motorcycle engine in the horse.
Can these be classified as motorcycles and be made street legal? I read about someone on a ruv forum making their rhino street legal in montana and he got motorcycle tags for it and everything. I ask because I want to drive the cart to school but I aint exactly thrilled with the LSV regulations to say the least.

club car man

Advanced Member
Give us the forum link and show us the people that said that. Then let's invite them over here for a little "fun" LMHO!

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I've got a v-twin in my lawnmower and I have been cutting grass since I was six. Back then I found it as a privilege but now I realize my parents were just trying to dump the chores on me.
I guess the fact that these engines are used in lawn mowers has to say something good for them. Lawn mowers run for long periods of time and go very slow. I had one that I wanted to make into a racing mower. It was the firt rider I ever got when I was six. How this is in anyway related to golf carts I have no idea.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Who asked for your input? You just keep blowing. J/P :)
But that is a good point. Ive noticed the faster I drive the less bumpy the smaller bumps are.