Best Upgrades for a 23hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
What would be the best upgrades for the 23hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard? I have my mind set on the billet intake with K&N air filter and of course the high rev kit.

Why do some high rev kits only get the engine up to 4500 rpm?

What do performance cams and roller rockers do?

WALKNTALL

I wouldnt call it a rev kit if it only went to 4500. A Briggs and Honda have no problem getting to 4500 without a rev kit. If you can only get 4500 wide open with your particular setup there is no need for a rev kit.

Who only gets 4500 with a rev kit? They have something outta wack!

The intake, cam, and rev kit make a really nice package for the 23 Briggs. Its not radical, it just wakes the motor up nicely. Not to mention gobbling up a Honda...

A cam changes the timing and duration of when the valves open and close, thus putting more gas in the firing chamber. The roller rockers allow the valve train to move with less resistance. With the installation of the roller rockers it will add a bit more power and it will also lower the sweet spot(power curve) of the performance cam from about 5000 to 4800rpms.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Frank thanks for the info. I dunno where the thread is about a high rev kit only getting 4500 rpm's. I think it was on buggies a while back.

How difficult is it to install the cam and roller rockers? I imagine the engine has to be torn apart a bit for the cams. o_O

Do you know how much someone would typically charge to install them?

WALKNTALL

Yeah to put the cam in you have to open up the crank case. I let a master mechinic do all my stuff. He charges 2 hours ($100)for the cam, rev kit and the timing key. I have my Workhorse there now getting a rev kit installed and taking a 23 over there tomorrow for all of the goodies. Roller rockers would be easy to install.

Frank

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Thanks Frank. I know where a small engine mechanic is locally so I will check with him on how much he charges to install these mods. I'll give him your number when I go there.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
I have seen the 4,500 figure too. I think it was at a venders site that sells engine kits and rev. kits. I thought it was kind of an odd statement at the time. Perhaps he was talking about the safe operating RPM?

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
OK, here is the reference from CartPartsPlus. I think the 4200 is a bit on the low side. Tom is a lot more knowledgeable about this than I am but I have had mine at 4500 for extended periods and a up to 5200 for short bursts. Perhaps he had that high school kid writing his ads for him.