Best Lift Kit for 1990 EZGO Marathon

dmos73

So, the pdf instruction file they just sent me, shows the adapters for the rear springs and shocks. I am trying to clarify with them now, which kit they’re selling, because they clearly have it titled wrong.

Attachments

• BBCF78D4-870D-4801-B48E-AA5587359EA6.png
    BBCF78D4-870D-4801-B48E-AA5587359EA6.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 3

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
In my opinion it's nice to be able to pick your spring rate when you buy springs but this is also the first time I'm doing this for a golf cart.

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
I still need to measure to buy metal for the engine mount it's getting a vanguard 23hp while this is going on too.lol

dmos73

Nice!! I’m just kidding, I know this stuff takes time.I will be doing an engine swap in the future, so I will be back to pick your brain about that. LOL I am going to get the cart looking good right now and worry about performance later. I own a drive-through Christmas light display in Northern Kentucky, and I am turning this into my little work cart

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
Awesome! This one wasn't supposed to be this much of a project but it was missing so much that I figured if I'm taking it all apart I might as well do the engine and lift kit all at once.

dmos73

I am truly impressed with the boss marine 6-1/2” coaxial. 35 bucks and with jus the amp off of the pioneer head unit, this little sucker rocks. I only gave 500 for the cart and only thing I’ve had to do is buy the windshield, and now need a voltage regulator. Once I hooked up my switch panel, it showed 16.6 volts while driving, not good. I’m going to make me a custom enclosure with doors so I can stay warm and dry during the light show. It can get damn cold in northern ky in December some times.

Attachments

• 2D21D7F7-AFC9-478B-BBC9-75CE00B014D2.jpeg
    2D21D7F7-AFC9-478B-BBC9-75CE00B014D2.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 70B6C211-5F67-4285-AE18-CC387164DC9D.jpeg
    70B6C211-5F67-4285-AE18-CC387164DC9D.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 838B63DA-949D-4C5D-8FF2-DF9BA4AD7313.jpeg
    838B63DA-949D-4C5D-8FF2-DF9BA4AD7313.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 7

dmos73

You don't have to fab anything if you purchase the kit that fits your cart.

This drop axle kit will work for you................................
they just confirmed that the picture they have for the ebay listing is for the wrong kit. they have the same kit that you shared

classycarts

Cartaholic
they just confirmed that the picture they have for the ebay listing is for the wrong kit. they have the same kit that you shared

Your right, half the fun is experimenting and fabricating up your idea's.

Way back when these came out, lift kit for a marathon, they cost $250. Once I seen how simple of a kit it was. I started making them myself. Now they're around $100.

1634165816484.png

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
Your right, half the fun is experimenting and fabricating up your idea's.

Way back when these came out, lift kit for a marathon, they cost $250. Once I seen how simple of a kit it was. I started making them myself. Now they're around $100.

View attachment 8704
I think I have 8 bucks in metal for the front lift kit on my wife's ezgo. It's nice to just buy a kit and bolt it on but, it's hard to pass savings like that and I like building stuff anyway.
Her whole suspension wasn't much of a savings though.
-80 bucks for txt front springs on sale on eBay,
-40 bucks for rear springs eBay again,
-86 bucks for shocks rock Auto,
-15 bucks in steel maybe less
-4 dollars for PVC fittings for coil spacers if they need adjusted to ride even
-5 bucks or less for hardware.
Probably 30 bucks in shipping and gas running for stuff.

It could have been cheap if I just did the diy block and shock extension route though. Maybe 30 bucks for metal and bolts with today's prices

whiteGIANT510

Since the front springs are just leaf springs with holes drilled I think I may try some lift springs from my friends old k5 blazer. If his drill press can get through them of course. I can make them as long as I want and the curve turned upside down will give some lift

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
This is how it sits so far. The rear will be a little higher and stretched back about 2 inches after it goes back together from the vanguard swap.
This nutty weather isn't being a help. 61 yesterday 3 inches of snow today, sheesh.

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_102147049_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220311_102147049_HDR.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 8

Dw89xj

Cartaholic
I need to make a linkage piece to make the steering "right" but that will be simple from some 1¼"x 1/4" square and some flat bar. It binds near the end at full left and the wheel isn't straight after the blocks, the angle is steep on the drag link. I'm going to flip the ball joint to the top at the wheel and drop it in the middle as well as extend it about an inch.

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_095131373_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220311_095131373_HDR.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 10

Backroad

"NO"! Not correct. Pay close attention when you order. The link you posted is a lift kit for a electric Marathon. You will need a lift for a gas Marathon.
Reason being. The rear shocks used on electric Marathon are different from gas Marathon.
Gas rear shocks have an eyelet on both ends that a bolt/stud goes through. Electric generally have a stem on each end or at least the top end of the shock.
Also electric carts use a leaf spring in the rear. Gas uses a coil spring in the rear. So only the front half of this amazon kit would fit on your cart.

Here is the kit you'll need.
"NO"! Not correct. Pay close attention when you order. The link you posted is a lift kit for a electric Marathon. You will need a lift for a gas Marathon.
Reason being. The rear shocks used on electric Marathon are different from gas Marathon.
Gas rear shocks have an eyelet on both ends that a bolt/stud goes through. Electric generally have a stem on each end or at least the top end of the shock.
Also electric carts use a leaf spring in the rear. Gas uses a coil spring in the rear. So only the front half of this amazon kit would fit on your cart.

Here is the kit you'll need.
Would this kit work? SGC 4" EZGO Marathon Drop Axle Lift Kit (Fits 1975-1994.5, Gas & Electric)