battery run time help for a newbie

Poolguy74

Hey guys, just bought my first cart. 05 ezgo pds 36v. Don't have any history on it but it is clean. It has h6 dated batteries and ran fine around the neighborhood. Charged it friday night and took it to the deer lease. I got mabey about 30-45 minutes of ride time and it was dead. Could let it set for 10 min. and get another min out of it. Got it home and have now recharged batterries all holding 6.2 to 6.4 volts. Where do I go from here. I am wondering if this cart sat to log and needs to be charged and ran dead a few time to get batteries going again or am I looking at a new set. any help will be appreciated

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

6.2 volts is low for a fully charged 6 volt battery. They should all be close to 6.4 volts. Check them to make sure they don't need water. H6 would be August 2006. If the batteries were maintained they should still have some life left.
The controller may have been going into thermal shut down. It's pretty common for a PDS cart with the stock controller to go into thermal shutdown if your driving on steep hills, mud, or slow speeds.

Is the cart lifted? If so what size are the tires?

hitmanharleyk

Kind of sounds like when I brought my '05 PDS home back in October !!!

I could ride 5 or 6 miles and my state of charge meter would be below 30%
I checked my Batteries and 1 was in the 6.27 range and the rest were above 6.33, the place I got it game me another one for the 6.27 and my ride time doubled right away. I figured I'd deal with these Batteries until the spring but came across a deal on new Trojans I couldn't pass up, now I can ride 6 or 7 miles and the meter won't even move off of the top line.

If you can you need to find good used batteries to replace anything below 6.30 but all you are doing is probably buying some time, new batteries are in your near future
unsure.gif

I'd also recommend that you get all the battery cables replaced with some good 4 ga. cables. It will help the juice flow and in my opinion lengthen the lift on your stock PDS controller if that is what you are running. I've been told it isn't matter of if the controller is going out on a lifted PDS cart, it is a matter of when it is going out. Sorry but that is gonna take more Franklin's out of your wallet when you have to upgrade to the Alltrax, but you'll climb hills then that your cart won't think about going up now.

HKH

Poolguy74

Far as I know it is a stock controller I will check voltages in the morning and see how many are below 6.4 . also stock size tires no lift. but I did switch out for hd springs on rear. I need about 2" more of ground clearance at the lease. What would you recommend on that. On the batteries what is a good place to buy from.(sam's?)

Poolguy74

OK couldn't sleep without knowing. all my batteries were charged today cart unused. voltages range from 5.99-6.2. So where do I go for new ones around dallas if anyone knows. Also I appear to have 4g going to motor but 6g on batteries. So I will have to upgrade that. Did some checking and I have a Curtis 300amp controller. What is the one I need to go to for using this as hunting cart. I have 2 draws I go thru, both are rough terrian and fairly steep.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Some Sam's sell Interstate golf cart batteries. I've had good luck with the Interstate and Exide batteries...

Alltrax recommends not going higher then 500 amps on the stock PDS motor. If your going to use the cart for hunting and steep terrain I'd go with the DCX400. If you plan on lifting the cart and running larger tires I'd consider the DCX500...