Battery Leaking After First Charge

ezgogo

I charged my cart for the first time since we bought it last week. The charger is a power wise with auto shut off. The batteries are NAPA 8144. When I lifted the seat I saw fluid at the back three batteries, mostly at the negative terminal. It was enough to drip in heavily onto my garage carpet and melt/burn it. It appears to be purple in color. I have no idea what do, did the previous owner overfill the batteries? The front three are OK.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
More than likely the three that are leaking are over full. You can rinse them and the battery trays off with a mixture of baking soda and water then rinse them with water. How full are the back three that leaked? Are they up inside the sleeve that sticks down into the cell? If they are they're over full.

ezgogo

I have never filled batteries before in my life, and after I saw the leakage I was afraid it may be under pressure and splash in my face. I really dont know how to check, I was going go to cart shop tomorow and ask or go to napa. I am glad it was that though, the previous owner did tell me that she just filled it up.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You might as well learn about battery filling and maintenance now or it will only lead to the batteries failing after a short amount of time.

Do the NAPA batteries have 1 cap on each battery? Or a separate cap on each cell?
There's no pressure in the batteries so you can remove the caps. Make sure you don't let any dirt fall into the cells. No open flames near the batteries. There's a couple of posts in the E-Z-GO resource forum about batteries you may want to take a look at.
If you have any questions feel free to ask...

ezgogo

It looks like there is three holes/caps with a central screw that when turned opens all three. I will mess with it tomorrow. I really appreciate your help

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Ok, you just twist the two tabs in the center of the cap and the caps will come off. Always fill them after they have been charged unless the level is below the plates. If the plates are exposed you would fill them until the plates are just covered then charge them. After the charge is complete you can fill then to just below the the sleeve that sticks down into the cells. Use distilled water only...
The batteries that are leaking should stop once the level gets down to where it should be. Just keep them rinsed off and should be fine...