Battery Issue?

jackrowe

Haven't seen this particular symptom on the forum yet...cart batteries charge well, and the meter reads at full charge. Cart dies after a block or so of driving. Charge meter reads half charged. After sitting for only a couple of minutes the meter shows fully charged again, and I can get another block or two before it stops.

Any ideas?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What year is the cart? Is it a Fleet, DCS or PDS?

Check all the cable connections. Take individual voltage readings on all six batteries right after a charge and then again as soon as the cart stops moving. Does the cart just quit or does it gradually slow down and then quit?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Does it have a controller or resistors?

I'd do a individual battery voltage check right when the cart stops. Let us know the voltages and we'll go from there.

Andy4639

Batteries are one of the hardest things to figure out. Just because they charge don't mean they are good. Load test each one if you can or load test them as a pack. One bad battery can cause this to happen.
The rate of discharge is how you tell if a battery is good.
To load test them as a pack hook a volt meter to them and drive it around and see how they react. When you hit the gas they should drop down for a instant and then come right back up and stay there while you ride normal. If they drop and stay down then you need to see if it's just one battery doing this are more by testing each battery seperately. I use a load tester for that.

jackrowe

Each Battery reading: 5.7-5.8, total 35.6.
Found the broken wire to the controller. One pull and twist and it came off, so I couldn't take a post-ride check. I'll be going through and re-wiring all connections.

Thanks for all the help!

jackrowe

It was just sitting. Charged last week before I had the slowing issue. They are 8 years old, so new ones are on the list.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes I'd say it's time to buy batteries... 8 years is good, hopefully the new set lasts that long...
biggrin.gif

Andy4639

Batteries sitting and checking should be at least 6.2 or higher. Even a new battery that is load tested is only good if it last it amp hr rating while discharging.
I hope I said that right?
unsure.gif
wacko.gif