battery charging

troney

I have been having trouble getting an adequate charge on my 98 club car (48volt). I thought it might be the F/R switch since it doesn't always buzz when shifted to reverse. Thought it might be bad contacts. So I bought a new switch and installed it today, along with new 4ga battery cables. When I plug in the charger, it jumps to about 14 amps then shuts down. My battery indicator also comes on for about 5 sec then shuts off.

My charger worked fine before I tried "fixing" my cart. Maybe I shorted something out in the OBC???

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Double check that you have all the batteries wired positive to negative. Also make sure the batteries don't need water (distilled water)...

captplaid

When I bought my '86 36 volt, I noticed some blackened fiberglass on the inside where the charger plugs in. When I have charged it, the charger's output cord is getting warm and I smell hot varnish coming from cart's outlet where the charger plugs in. (The same spot that was black from getting too hot)

I suspect this is was a problem for the previous owner. Does it sound like I have a short or is there something I need to replace?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
captplaid,

The heat is from the connections on the charger plug and the charger receptacle on the cart. Clean both and make sure the connections are tight. That should take care of it.