Battery Charger Shutting Off State of Charge Meter Does Not Read Correctly

2overpar

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a 98 EZGO TXT that I have upgraded motor and controller. Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue, but the battery charger issue started well after the upgrade. My battery charger is shutting off after a short period of time. I can plug it in several times and it will charge to full. Another issue is my state of charge meter does not read correctly. It will sometimes jump to full and other times, when I know it is fully charged by watching the charger needle drop when plugging it in, it will show one or two "bars". I can run it for 18 with no issue, but have no idea how much charge I have left. I have replaced the meter and the new one is doing the same thing as the old one. I have just installed all 6 new Trojan T105 and still the same issue. I did bypass the reed several years ago.

Is there something that sends the state of charge to the charger that tells it when to shut off? And why is the meter not showing full charge when I know they are full? If I unplug the wires to the meter and plug them back in, the meter reading will go from "empty" to "full".

Spoke to a cart mechanic that works on carts in the area and he was baffled also....

Patrick L

Cartaholic
Have you checked or bypassed/jumped the reed switch just to eliminate that possibility ?

Is your charge indicator 2 or 3 wire ? Sounds like a defective unit or loose connection.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Your charger is shutting off after a short time how long does it charge

2overpar

Meter is a two wire, has already been replace - if I disconnect and reconnect, meter jumps to full. I have disconnected the reed.

2overpar

I haven't timed the charge, but sometimes it will have shut off fifteen minutes after plugging it in - after a full 18 holes.

Diode

I’m almost sure it’s a charger problem the meter will reset when it reaches a certain voltage do you have a schematic of the charger I tried looking for one and couldn’t find it on the site

Diode

Put a volt meter on the battery pack Write down the voltage take your charger plug it in and write down the voltage every five minutes right down the voltage for the first 15 minutes at the end of the charge cycle measure of the voltage again with charger still running

Patrick L

Cartaholic
Isn't it strange that so many of these discussions fall over the edge never to be heard from again. I just find it odd.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Some people come back once the golf cart is fixed and let us know what the problem was. It would be nice if everyone did because their post may help someone else. :dazed: