Batteries Die Quickly

Rootyjuice

I have a Club Car Precedent (2015). I just bought it and the batteries die quickly. I’m only getting a mile before battery light comes on. Then not long after it will flash, and I start losing all power around 3-4 miles. I should get more range than that right?
I’ve tested batteries voltage 24 hours after charge and all batteries were between 8.3 and 8.4. Hydrometer test on all cells were consistent at around 1270. I also tested all batteries after cart limped home and voltages were all between 8.19 and 8.31.
I feel like these are all acceptable measurements or am I wrong? Trying to figure out if it’s batteries, or charger or obc. I’m clueless on this one.
I appreciate any help

Ncgolfcartboy

Cartaholic
I have a club car precedent (2015). I just bought it. I’m only getting a mile before battery light comes on. Then not long after it will flash, and I start losing all power around 3-4 miles. I should get more range than that right?
I’ve tested batteries voltage 24 hours after charge and all batteries were between 8.3 and 8.4. Hydrometer test on all cells were consistent at around 1270. I also tested all batteries after cart limped home and voltages were all between 8.19 and 8.31.
I feel like these are all acceptable measurements or am I wrong? Trying to figure out if it’s batts, or charger or obc. I’m clueless on this one.
I appreciate any help
You need to do a load test on the batteries. Hook your meter to them and see how much they drop when you press the pedal.

Rootyjuice

I load tested batts. They leveled out at:
batt1 8.07
Batt2 7.95
Batt3 8.02
Batt4 8.09
Batt5 8.02
Batt6 8.02
Lowest drop on initial push on accelerator was 7.88 on batt 2

Ncgolfcartboy

Cartaholic
After it starts to shut down park it uncharged over night and see if it will go again in the morning or if it it still seems dead. Could be the controller. Make sure all connections are tight and clean and not generating excessive heat. Check water in batt 2

Rootyjuice

One slightly bad battery could have that much of an effect? Water is above all the plates. I’ll check voltage tomorrow after I run it.
Also.. when it started to lose power it was kinda “jumpy” like hit or miss unless I went to very low throttle.

thanks for the advice everybody.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes, one bad battery can cause short run time. Low voltage can also cause the cart to jerk especially when accelerating. I'm not saying the batteries are your only problem but it may be.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
I say your batteries are dead

state-of-charge-chart-6-120.jpg

Ncgolfcartboy

Cartaholic
All the batteries are dropping lower than they should under load. I'm guessing it still has the original 2015 batteries in it? If so they are due to be replaced. They typically last 5 years give or take

movin-on

If it is a 2015 you don't have an obc as it uses an eric charger...
Battery light remains solid when the battery state of charge falls below 20%.
Battery light flashes when state of charge falls below 10%.

Rootyjuice

I’ve looked into this and I can’t find anything on the web that supports this. Everything I see say all club cars after mid nineties have obc. I know I have the Eric charger, how do I know if there is or isn’t in fact an obc? I thought the two work together to charge. Just trying to eliminate possible problems before buying new batteries. Thanks

Diode

If your cart serial number starts with Je then you do not have an OBC and you should have an Eric charger

movin-on

The eric charger is a smart charger and does not need an obc to tell it what to do...After Sept 2013 Club car did away with the obc...As diode stated if your serial# starts with JE you do not have an obc...

Diode

I agree with the above accept club car usually continues the run of the old set up for quite a few years getting rid of on shelf parts I have seen non je karts into 15 and 16

kenwmey

I’ve looked into this and I can’t find anything on the web that supports this. Everything I see say all club cars after mid nineties have obc. I know I have the Eric charger, how do I know if there is or isn’t in fact an obc? I thought the two work together to charge. Just trying to eliminate possible problems before buying new batteries. Thanks
I bought a 2013 that had an OBC and came with an ERIC charger. They actually don't work together; when the batteries are charged, the ERIC doesn't know what to do, so it gives an error. I bypassed the OBC and never had a charging issue again. My son just bought a 2008 and it also came with an ERIC charger - I don't know why they do that. He has the same problem with the error from the ERIC. You can easily check to see if the OBC is working.
Set the voltage meter to DC Volts 200V.
Take voltage from the positive side of the charger port/receptacle to the negative on the battery pack loop of batteries.
There should be voltage read on the battery back, this may vary based on the charge.