Bad Experience with Plum Quick Review

randyjaco

Just a review and warning about my bad experience with Plum Quick to those out there thinking of dealing with them:
Plum Quick they won’t stand by their products. I contacted them several months ago. I told them of my cart and what I wanted to achieve from it. I bought the motor and controller set they recommended. My requirements were not tough. I just wanted the 48v Club Car to do 25-30 MPH. The best the cart ever did was 23MPH. After about 30 days of use the cart stopped running. The Controller burnt out. I sent it back and they returned it with a note that the controller had received too much amperage and was unrepairable and that the problem was my fault.
I am a 63 year old retired engineer that put himself through college as a mechanic. The parts were installed exactly per the schematic. The cart was only used on asphalt and gravel and never for extended periods or rough service.
You may want to consider getting your parts from a more reputable vendor. I will never deal with Plum Quick again after my bad experience.

Randy

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
plum-quick-lift-kit.jpg

06z400rider

So far, I'm glad I used D&D. I did a lot of research on here and got a lot of opinions, and the 500 amp programmable with 5021 PDS motor is pretty sweet. I installed 25" X-Trail tires yesterday, and it spins out anytime I gas on it or get in loose stuff. I love it! Sorry about your bad experience with Plum Quick... :thumbdown:

ron-kanobie

I purchased a Plum Quick motor for my 2003 CC. After a quick chat on the phone I went for the mildest adjustment and only replaced the motor. Using GPS for a speedo my cart now does 22 MPH with four adults down the payment. I couldn't happier with their products. Sorry you burned down but stuff happens. Do you really feel it's there fault?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Plum Quick randyjaco. If you've only used the controller for 30 days they should replace it with no questions asked (especially if it's what Plum Quick recommended). What brand is the controller? I would contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. If it's a Alltrax they have a 1 year guarantee and will stand behind it like Plum Quick should have.

Thanks for giving us a heads up on the issue with the bad experience Plum Quick.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well Robby from Plum Quick is a member here, perhaps he can shed some light on the problem :dazed:

dougmcp

I have seen this complaint on 3 different sites, one of them I responded to with questions and never got a reply.
There are always 2 sides to the story and having dealt with PQ before I found this one difficult to understand.
After doing some research on the OP's previous posts, he made his own cables and soldered the connectors on. To me it seems that this maybe operator error.
Here is the PQ response made regarding the complaint:
QUOTE Randall, I'm sorry you feel that you've been done wrong, but I'm not sorry for the service and products that you received! As Paul Harvey would say........now the rest of the story. Randall wanted a motor that would run between 25-30 mph, we talked about a wide range of motors. We went over pricing and settled on a new mid range motor, that motor should run around 28 mph or so with good batteries, and I told him he would need a higher amp controller, which he could get .........he wanted me to supply the controller, which I did 700 amp......shipped to him 6-11-10. Randall e-mailed me 7-13-10 that the cart would only do 23 mph with stand tires and when he put the lift and taller tires his speed is only 19 mph, so I had UPS pick the motor up 7-15-10........I checked the motor out and everything seemed fine, after talking to him and his words " I'm somewhat displeased with the performance" I took a new motor off one of my test carts and sent it to Randall 8-9-10, the cart with 22" tires had tons of low torque and would run out at 34 mph........this motor is around $200.00 more, but I told Randall that I wasn't going to charge him the difference. I never heard from Randall about how GOOD or BAD or THANKS for the new motor.
Now, 2-3 weeks ago Randall e-mails me to say the motor is burnt up, then he e-mails me to say the motor is fine, but the controller is burnt up........so I have the controller picked up.......when I see the controller the motor lug has gotten so hot that it melted around the lug where it goes into the controller, I sent it back to the mfg, they said that the lug and or wire connection caused the controller to get too hot and burnt the controller beyond repair. Yes, I could have just paid for and sent Randall a new controller........I have and will always do what ever I can to help anyone. Yes, I knew Randall was going to post his side of the story and I wouldn't be having to write all this stuff if I had just bought him another controller, but where do you draw the line.......No matter how hard you work to take care of your customers, things like this can and will happen. Randall, I have no ill feelings........hope you have a GREAT day......................
Thanks, Robby

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Doug you beat me to it!!!Just got thru conferring with Robby and he suggested posting his reply on BGW. The only forum Randall hasn't complained on is PQ....

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure what the situation is here with the controller but I would suggest if Robby from Plum Quick has something to say about it he should be the one saying it. I know if someone was saying things about me or one of my businesses that weren't 100% true I wouldn't be asking other people to explain it for me, I'd be explaining it myself.

Just because randyjaco made his own cables doesn't mean that's what caused the controller to burn up. Could the cables be the reason? Yes but doubtful. It could also be a bad controller or motor.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
most likely randy is baned from pq for voicing his opinion and can't complain, thats what happens to everyone else that refuses to drink the kool aid. :rotflmao:

randyjaco

Hot Rod
The controller was a No-Name supplied by PQ. I bought the motor and the controller as a package deal.

I will have to say this board is a little more understanding. I don't really know whose fault it is, but it doesn't matter. I purchased a product from PQ believing it would fulfill my needs and it didn't in a very short time. I told the cart community about it and now I am the bad guy (particularly on the BGW board). Had I seen a similar post when I was in the market, I would have investigated and/or gone somewhere else. Some people just don't want the facts getting in the way of their beliefs.

Randy

dougmcp

I agree that merely making your own cables doesn't constitute a bad job just a question.
The controller could have been bad or it could have been caused by stalling the motor, loose connections, bad solder joint or even a bad motor.
Even a low voltage situation could cause a controller to overheat.
If the battery bank is low, the controller should have a safety that would shut it down under extreme load except for motor stall.
If the motor shorted out the battery bank fuse should take care of that problem too.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
This forum was started to help cart owners with questions they may have and to give HONEST product/company reviews. We will always listen to both sides when possible to determine who's right and who's wrong and try to help with resolving problems that come up from time to time. Robby Steen from Plum Quick has a account here and is welcome to say anything he needs to say to straighten things out. If he doesn't say anything I would tend to think he didn't do what was right to resolve a issue that one of his customers has. I'm sure Robby is aware this thread is here so we'll see if he can add anything to help resolve the issue. :twocents: :usa:

dougmcp

I'm not so sure you are a bad guy maybe you were just having a bad day.
It's sometimes hard to get to the facts and help with a problem when you come out with both guns blazing. Asking for a solution to your problems or inquiring as to whether anyone has had a problem with X is probably more appropriate on any forum including this one.
Hope everything works out and you get your cart up and running soon. :hattip:

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Randy... Although I sympathize with you... I DO NOT appreciate the method you've used to try to get this resolved. CRAP happens.... I'll take the word of a tried and trusted performance parts supplier any day. From what I've seen posted on ALL the forums, the cause of the controller failure was a LOOSE connection causing the controller to overheat. Since this failure is not covered by the manufacturer,I don't see how you can blame Plum Quick.:twocents:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
PD do you own or work for Plum Quick? If not let someone from Plum Quick explain. Second hand info is what starts problems. We've heard from randyjaco and I have no reason to not believe what he says. Now lets hear PQ's side of the story from someone at Plum Quick.

I'm not saying what you posted isn't true PD but I think it would be best to hear this directly from Plum Quick and not something that was posted on another forum. :hattip:

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Yes PM sent here's the header:

Group: Members

Rod,
You are correct, I am not officially affiliated with PQ. Still trying to work all sides.... NOT GOOD !!!Tried to get Robby to log on and reply but here was his post on BGW :