Arcing Resistor Board On My EZGO Golf Cart

lag2683

New Member, Have a disturbing prob. w/cart. Accelerator advances spring loaded probe across cable buttons on a board! Voltage arcs hard like battery pos. post is going to ground! Looks like striking an arc with welder! Replaced board & Contacter w/ spring, same problem! What Gives? I'm not that familiar w/ electric carts, so this has me feelin rreal ignorant. Still spark'in in indiana! P.S., this cart belongs to the local little league, so im just trying to help! And with not much money! Thanks!

shadowman

if i,m understanding you someone jerry rigged it?.........sorry to all the jerries out there..........lol.................... if so you,ll need a switch board / copper bushings/ and a wiper switch, you can buy the board with or without the copper bushings alread installed or just a switch board and copper bushings/ than the wiper switch ( plunger )..........................so to buy the board/copper bushing assmb. and wiper switch your looking approx 39.00 US to buy the board the bushings and the wiper your looking at 36.50 US plus shipping of coruse.......you can also try and clean and repair what you have.....................take main pos and neg cables off batteries........those stud heads have to be smooth and level when the wiper is going across themand you want the end of the plunger smooth flat level and chean.......start with real fine wet paper and get all surfaces clean real clean like a shiny penny........than see how the mating surfaces are between wiper contact and the buttons on the board...........slowly press pedal and see how smooth things are........ you want smoothness........good luck.

lag2683

Thanks for the reply! I already have replaced the switch board and the contacts. Plus the wiper switch/plunger also, but i got the same result! When you depress the pedal, fire flies at the contacts/wiper. Looks like a gremlin is welding backhoe teeth on! All new parts but its like a 12v positive to ground flash. Could the resister box that has 4 cables hooked to it be faulty, and if so what does one cost? If i mess with the throttle to much, its gonna trash my new contacts and wiper! Thanks!

shadowman

all the resistor coils do is disipate heat when your driving slow..........................so it shouldn,t no part in the sparkage, nothing touching anywhere? all cables and wires back in the right spots?

lag2683

Thanks. Shadowman! If I can find a good wiring diagram i'll check all connections, somthi'n just aint right! Back to work ! Oh My!

lag2683

Ok then, all wiring seems to be correct, total volts = 38.4, each batt. is between 6.1 to 6.4! sparks hard at the second contact on switchboard, then very slightly at 3, 4, and 5. Same on the way down! 1rst contact has no cable, 2nd contact has 2 cables, 1A of which loops back to the same post on solenoid as does the spring loaded, moveable contactor What's happen'in! cable 1B,2,3, &4 are going to a resistor type box in between the batteries. I'm melt'n here! It's not really a spark, It's more like an Arc!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What condition are the resistor coils in? A broken resistor coil or bad connection at the coils will cause a arc.

lag2683

Connections on top of the box look pretty old ,rusty, and seized! Tried not to break off a stud, but i guess i need to get in there somhow! You might be right! The L. League does'nt have much money, so i'm trying to be careful. Thanks so much, I'll keep look'in!
wallbash.gif

lag2683

Well, I finally got it apart and guess what! The middle coil is broken! I checked the 3 coils to ground and the middle one is dead shorted to ground! I ordered a new one, Hope that fixes the problem. One of the things that made this problem hard, is the diagrams of a marathon don't show this resister box hardly at all in the system. Very vague! Anyway, This forum rocks!!!! Great help and cooperation between members! Thanks to all, Later on!

jeepwm69

I have a similar issue with my 91ish Marathon.

How do you check the coils? I have sparking on the 2nd disk as well, new wiper board and switch.

If throttle is held partially down i get sparks at 2nd disk, and wire going to coil box gets really hot, really quick.

I'm guessing either bad connection or bad coil, so how would I check the coil?