Alternative Battery Setup Three 12 Volt

GEMmechanic

I have been experimenting with an alternative battery setup using three group 27/31 12 volt batteries in our 3 wheel EZ-GO. So far, results have been very good. The cost and weight savings are considerable. Six GC5s cost us $750, but three group 31 12 volts are only about $300 for flooded or $630 for Dekka Gels. These are the same batteries used in the GEM. Six GC5s weigh 402 pounds, while the 12 volts only weigh 190 pounds. I use the cart pretty hard and we do have steep hills here on the campus. I have even welded with this cart (see my post on the welder). The reduced weight is noticeable. Any thoughts on this idea?

Daniel

Reactions: Tyb

GEMmechanic

Is reduced longevity in the form of service range of miles or life expectancy? I have surplus 12 volt GEM batteries, so in they go. But I do agree that 6 volts will last longer. The oldest batteries in the campus fleet are Exide GC-5s that were installed back in 1998! They have been in seasonal use for twelve years and kept healthy with deionized water from our chemistry lab.

Daniel

dougmcp

The answer is both.
Generally the amount of lead in the batteries equates to run time and because these 3x12v 27/31 series batteries will be run down more than a set of 6x6v the life expectancy is reduced as well.

chachi44089

I was doing alot of thinking about this..How bout this..Instead of three 12v batteries in series to get 36 volts..why not "6" 12 volt batteries. Wire them the same way..3 of them in series, so you would have "2" banks of batteries each at 36 volts..then wire the two banks together in parallel..You would stay at 36 volts, but have all that extra capacity..And still be much cheaper than those overpriced 6 volt batteries..Any thoughts? Field test?

chachi44089

The answer is both.
Generally the amount of lead in the batteries equates to run time and because these 3x12v 27/31 series batteries will be run down more than a set of 6x6v the life expectancy is reduced as well.
Not necessarily..Its more about the amount of surface area and thickness of the lead plates, and acid capacity..Deel cycle batts have thicker plates and more acid capacity than standard batts.
The worst thing for lead acid battery life span is not always how much it is used, but rather how low it gets discharged and how often..and also how long it is left in a discharged or low state..If you discharge or "run down" a lead acid battery, recharge it as soon as possible. Dont wait days or weeks to do it..This will greatly improve the life span of the battery. Also, a fully charged lead acid battery will not freeze.
As an example..I bought my daughters electric scooters 4 years ago. I make them charge them the moment they are low, or they are done riding them..They each have two sealed lead acid batteries in them and show no signs of quiting..The neighbors bought their kids the same scooters last year and are on the second set of batteries..Their kids ride them, run them dead, or near dead, then just leave thim in the garage without recharging them for days or weeks. A costly lesson.

chachi44089

Sorry to say but you won't have any extra capacity, just a wiring nightmare and general PITA.
36v of deep cycle 6v batteries will cost approx $450.
How much were you estimating 6 deep cycle 12v batteries were going to cost?
You would have double the capacity of 3-12 volt batteries wired in series if you used 6-12 volt in series parallel..The wiring is simple..no harder than wiring 6-6 volts.still only 12 terminals..just different wire placement on the terminals..no additional wiring..it is still only six batteries..very simple..no mods..no additional wires..No need for expensive deep cycle batts..Just a simple and cheaper alternative...I do know that it will prolly lessen run time, but for campground and smaller paces it might be the good enough. After all, it was a thread about alternative battery setups right?

dougmcp

You are correct about the post being "it was a thread about alternative battery setups right", I'm just saying that your idea is just that, an idea.
If you are using starting batteries, they are not intended for this purpose.
Start batteries have very thin plates, very little lead, prone to vibration damage and are for short duration bursts of power like starting a car.
Start batteries deteriorate rapidly if they are deeply discharged and recharged.
Any batteries used for things like golf carts need to be deep cycle.
I have no idea how long start batteries may last in a golf cart but it is not uncommon to get 8+ years out of them.
If you have already done this conversion or are planning it, the results would be good to post.

chachi44089

I agree with you 100%. And yes I know its just an idea..I never claimed otherwise. Thats why I started my post with the word "thinking", and ended it with "any thoughts?" I was just curious if it would work ok for short use..Like around a campground or smaller property..I am disabled, and our family had to move from our farm "only about 5 acres". I thought it might have worked for a place like that..Short trips to the barn, garden, things like that. It was just a thought or "idea". On my fixed income of very little, the right batteries are costly "thats why I bought a gas cart". But then again, I do believe "after reading your advise", that the correct batteries would be worth it in the long run "literally". And I thank you for the useful input. But the intention of my post was to get some "thoughts", not ruffle feathers, or get a snarky reply with questions in them. Its a shame that it seems to be a growing trend on forums for veteran members who know more about a specific topic than the new guy, to answer questions, or comment on ideas, in a way that they would not have done if they had just met that person in an actual social environment. I love to discuss ideas. I even enjoy debating the pros and cons of ideas. As long as it is tempered with respect, and not sarcasm.

edsel60

I just happen to have 6-12v deep cycle batteries.how would I wire them up,does anyone have a diagram? also would my 36v charger work on this setup?

sonicj

here ya go:
series-parallel.jpg

qatmaster

Chachi I might get the same kind of treatment as a newby, and I agree with you that we newby folk count on you experts to get us out of jams and let us know when ideas should remain ideas, but I really hope you remember what Chachi says: snarky indicators just don't communicate encouragement.

Here's MY dumb question: What's the real diff between parallel and serial wiring? Is one preferable for my 99 ezgo? Why? I'm also interested in if anyone has added solar to their battery setup. If there's a solar thread, I haven't found it yet, and alternative battery setups seemed to be the best place to ask this. If I'm misposting, let me know and I'll gladly go to the right thread if you tell me what it is.

Thanks loads to anyone who has any input. I sit ready for schooling!

oddpowers

Cartaholic
6- 6 Volt batteries in series = 36 volts, and one battery worth of amp hours
6- 6 volt batteries in parallel = 6 volts, and one battery worth of amp hours X6
For example, a popular battery for golf carts a Trojan 105's
6 of them in series, equals 36 volts, and 105ah
6 of them in parallel equals 6 volts 630ah
Series is required for golf carts.

As for the solar panels, right now the cost does not justify the gain. My local Menards store sells a Colman 55 watt solar panel for around $300.
amps=watts/volts....... 1.52=55/36 That solar is only 12v, so.... 4.58=55/12, you get 4.5 amps of 12 volts, that you would then have to convert to charge 36 volts golf cart, which after conversion loss, you prolly wouldn't even get the 1.52 amps in above formula.
Plus, the panel is darn near the size of a golf cart roof.
I realize there are a little better exceptions out there, but money wise, its just not practical.
This of course is just my :twocents:
there is a guy on here that may chime in that could prolly get deaper into all the veriables to consider.

GEMmechanic

We used up surplus group 31 batteries from a GEM that was destroyed. They lasted a year or so. The ancient EZ-GO Marathon we put them in is only used for short distances. The 27s and 31s are marine/RV batteries and not "true" deep cycle. We have since reinstalled GC5s.

Daniel