Alltrax dcx400 pds question

chasenfish16

Just a few quick questions about the Alltrax DCX400 PDS. I have a 2002 PDS cart lifted with 22" tires I use it around the neighborhood and at the hunting camp should I run it with turbo on or off, the added speed is nice, is it hard on the motor?With it off should it run about the same speed as the stock controller with a speed chip installed?Also just curious what everyone has there throttle up rate set at? mine is at 5 is that about right. and finally do I need to keep my reverse horn plugged in, does the Alltrax use it to send codes like the stock controller.

Thanks in advance

dougmcp

Turbo on is fine in the hood, not in the hunting camp. Running at high speed for extended times will heat the motor and eventually malfunction.
The reverse horn is also a safety device, stick an ear plug into it to quiet it sown or for hunting, put a toggle switch in series.

dougmcp

You have to go back to the design of these in the first place. These were designed as a golf cart with short sprints of power applied. A Sepex motor uses smaller windings to achieve it's performance and in a golf course scenario this is not an issue but for long runs at full speed even a stock Sepex motor will overheat and eventually have a problem.
Modifying these carts to use for street or hunting duty only makes the overheat problems amplified.

Andy4639

I have a 04 PDS cart that I took the orginal motor out last summer still running but wanted more speed for the beach. I replaced it with a PQ motor and I run it 23MPH for 6 1/2 miles each way to Ocean Lakes campground on a regular bases and never had a problem with it.
I ride around the campground visiting friends and then ride back 6 1/2 mile without a problem.

The PDS motor is a very good motor for what it is.
The alltrax will not use the beeper as far as I know. The turbo is only operating in Full throttle operation so if you are just creeping along it want hurt a thing.
Throttle rate is a personal setting on which you set according to the use of the cart. Max is for street use so you can take off real quickly lower the setting the slower the cart reacts. In the woods a slower reaction would be best I would think.
twocents.gif

dougmcp

Who did the turbo for it? How is it wired?
Yes, it's common for a PDS motor to get warm, I think 170 degrees F (?) is about as hot as you want to go without damaging the motor.

Andy4639

I have a stock controller on my 04 but the 2000 Ezgo fleet has one and it works great but I ride pretty much wide open on the streets most of the time. Very little slow driving.
twocents.gif
yikes2.gif

Have you checked everything to make sure you have no other issues like cable ends and such.
dazed053.gif

chasenfish16

I turned the turbo on in the controller with the Alltrax software, laptop and USB cable. It gets quite a bit warmer (hot) with it turned on vs. being off. just curious if it will hurt the motor.