air filter

johnny9

ive been makeing a carb adapter from aluminum to replace the original fresh air box and just got it finished..will post pics soon..
now it seems like its not getin enough gas,,or to much air??when i pull the choke out about half way it runs like a screamin dog,when its fully opened it wont let me go past half throttle and it starts sputterin like it needs more fuel..

i also noticed while workin on it someone had put a colder plug in it than it calls for so i put the original plugs back in when finishing up..also the fuel filter has never filled up as it only spits a little in the filter every once in a while..i guess this is normal as its always done this before and ran fine..

i was thinking that the more fresh air i give it the better it would preform?could i be wrong or do i just need to put a bigger jet in now..header exaust will be here tomorrow, i think it may come with a new jet,not sure tho..

i wouldnt think you could give an engine to much air???what you guys think,thanks,john

johnny9

DSC01629.jpg
DSC01634.jpg

johnny9

just realized i posted in the wrong place as it should be in 4 stroke collum,sorry guys..

my dad says my problem is the pilot screw...said since ive gave it so much air flow
i need to turn it out to compensate for it..i will try this tomorrow..

i hope it works as im amazed with the power gain ive gotton from this but who wants
to hold the choke halfway out to drive faster..got to be something simple,john

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
More air is making it run leaner. The header will make it run even more lean. Youll need to experiment with jet size until you find the right combination.

johnny9

hopefully the ezgo dealer can get me a assortment of jets..

do ya think if i adjust the float a bit more level,than just above level that the book calls
for it may help?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The float level won't really change the mixture unless it's to low and not letting enough fuel into the float bowl. If you have access to a indexed drill bit set you can drill the jet a thousandth or two at a time. When you start getting to rich the cart will hesitate on take off. Your best bet is wait until you get the new exhaust on because it's going to make it lean again and you'll have to start over...

johnny9

i have the index bits,,thanks for that reminder,been awhile since ive done that sort of thing
but thats a great idea..

is the only jet i wil have to drill is the main jet where the float bowl is,or will i have to mess with
the other one as well??thanks for your knowledge also,john